Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today at WWDC announced new AirPlay abilities coming in iOS 17, including on-device intelligence to learn your AirPlay preferences around the home, as well as AirPlay support coming to more hotel rooms.

airplay-hotels.jpg

In terms of on-device intelligence, AirPlay can learn how and when you listen to certain content, for example by displaying a nearby AirPlay-supporting speaker to select depending which room you're in. You'll also be able to ask Siri to start an AirPlay session in a much more fluid way.

AirPlay will also work with supported televisions in hotels, allowing users to easily enjoy their favorite content on the TV when traveling. Built with a foundation of privacy and security, this capability will be available before the end of the year in select hotels, starting with brands from IHG Hotels & Resorts.

The developer beta of iOS 17 is available to Apple Developer Program members at developer.apple.com starting today, and a public beta will be available next month at beta.apple.com.

Article Link: Apple Announces New Intelligent AirPlay Features With Hotel Room Support

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: DeepIn2U

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Hmmm, some hotels already do something like this. I just go to a website, put in a code and I can do airplay. Of course this would be easier.

Reactions: JunBringer

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Argh, more "intelligence" that will behave unpredictably and exactly not do what I want. That's the exact opposite of being in control.

Maybe this was solved in the current IOS, I have an older version of IOS, but is there a way to keep Spotify at a certain audio level with airpods connected, meaning if you have your volume at a high level because you were playing Spotify through your home stereo speakers, you now go back to your phone, adjust audio to mid tier levels, then you later on connect to Airpods or wired headphones, Spotify stays on the last level the audio was playing when last using Spotify, sometimes you forget this and get a nice jolt in your eardrums, can you set a maximum level on certain music Apps when first connecting airpods or wired headphones?

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
I used to just take my 3rd gen Apple TV with me to the hotel. 😅
In the foreseeable future you will still need to keep doing it. The key phrase during the keynote is “supported hotels”, which normally means only the hotels with meaningless inflated rates.

Instrumentality

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2015
Brooklyn
I really wish you could Airplay to the Apple studio displays. Being able to wirelessly send video from different phones/iPads/Laptops would make it worth the price.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Apple today at WWDC announced new AirPlay abilities coming in iOS 17, including on-device intelligence to learn your AirPlay preferences around the home, as well as AirPlay support coming to more hotel rooms.

airplay-hotels.jpg

In terms of on-device intelligence, AirPlay can learn how and when you listen to certain content, for example by displaying a nearby AirPlay-supporting speaker to select depending which room you're in. You'll also be able to ask Siri to start an AirPlay session in a much more fluid way.

AirPlay will also work with supported televisions in hotels, allowing users to easily enjoy their favorite content on the TV when traveling. Built with a foundation of privacy and security, this capability will be available before the end of the year in select hotels, starting with brands from IHG Hotels & Resorts.

The developer beta of iOS 17 is available to Apple Developer Program members at developer.apple.com starting today, and a public beta will be available next month at beta.apple.com.

Article Link: Apple Announces New Intelligent AirPlay Features With Hotel Room Support

Argh, more "intelligence" that will behave unpredictably and exactly not do what I want. That's the exact opposite of being in control.

Apple damnit!!!

Why cannot Apple TV+ app on existing Smart TV's and competing Smart devices like the Roku allow for AirPlay of sound and video from a Mac, iPhone, iPod, and iPad?!

There is no technical reason NOT allow this?!!!

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
I really wish you could Airplay to the Apple studio displays. Being able to wirelessly send video from different phones/iPads/Laptops would make it worth the price.
You can, kinda. I BELIEVE you can
- buy an Apple TV and connect it to the Studio Display via HDMI
- tell your Mac to use the Apple TV as a wireless display (either extending or mirroring)

This gives you the ability to toggle between the aTV receiving from the source mac or the iPhone/iPad/...

An alternative solution which may better suit your needs is to AirPlay from the iPhone/iPad/... to the MAC and have it appear on the Studio display. Apple Silicon Macs can accept Airplay connections.

Yet a third solution (for older macs, or for alternative protocols like Chromecast) is to install software on the Mac that acts as an appropriate client; an example is AirServer, but there are many other alternatives.

Yeah, lack of wireless on the Studio Display is a limitation, though one that can be worked around. My guess is that the next version (in a year or two) will ship with better wireless connectivity in some form.

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
So, does this require Airplay 2 or even a HomePod, or will this work on any Airplay device that is seen in Home? I have several Sonos speakers, Amps, and Ports.

Fousthvk

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2016
As someone who owns many short term rental units this would be ideal for others to sign up to use. Some people cannot figure things out in homes with tech they haven’t used. Easier the better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.