Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is already working on an iMac that features the "M3" Apple silicon chip, alongside development on at least nine new Macs that feature the company's next-generation of Apple silicon, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has reported.

iMac-Pro-2022-27-and-24-iMac.jpg

In the latest edition of his Power On newsletter, Gurman has said that work on an iMac with an M3 chip is already underway, but specific details of the iMac, including whether it'll be a follow-up to the updated 24-inch model or a larger model are not disclosed. Gurman added that an iMac Pro is also in the works but that it won't launch "anytime soon."
Since then, I've heard that the M2 chips aren't the only ones in testing within Apple. And if you're waiting for a new iMac, I'm hearing an M3 version of that desktop is already in the works—though I imagine it won't launch until the end of next year at the earliest. Also, for those asking, I still think an iMac Pro is coming. It just won't be anytime soon.
Last week, Bloomberg reported that Apple is hard at work on a host of new Macs destined to be released throughout the remainder of this year and early into 2023. The new Macs include a revamped entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro with the M2 chip, a completely redesigned MacBook Air, and updated 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros with the M2 Pro and M2 Max chips.

Apple is rumored to showcase its M2 chip later this year, which will be the company's first significant addition to its Mac Apple silicon family since the launch of the original M1 chip in November 2020.

The baseline M2 chip, expected to power the 13-inch MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air, is rumored to include the same 8-core CPU as M1 but with speed and efficiency improvements. As for GPU, the M2 will consist of 9 and 10-core GPU options, up from the 7 and 8-core GPU options in the original ‌M1‌ chip.

For a full roundup of everything we know about the M2 chip, see our guide.

Article Link: Apple Already Working On iMac With 'M3' Chip, iMac Pro Also Under Development But Won't Launch Anytime Soon

lam0218

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2022
When I saw such prediction, I can't stop laughing....

ProMotion will eventually arrival on iPhone and Mac.

Face ID will eventually arrival on Mac.

M3 will have more CPU/GPU cores than M2 and beat M1 Pro. In fact, M2 score will be very near to the M1 Pro but without those encode units.

iPad Air and iPad mini will share iPad Pro design but without key feature "ProMotion".

EVERYONE can guess and predict just as good as them....

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
Unless it packs more HP than an RTX3090 or RTX 40000 equivalent series, I just cannot imagine what on Earth are these M1 SOCs support to do?

I mean Apple's SW needs to catch up with their HW at this point ?

Apple nailed it so well with these M1 line, My mind cannot compile what's the next thing without some SW to actually use it. ?

It feels like releasing the most powerful engine in the work for a car, but the suspensions, chassis, tires, breaks and direction is not up to the level yet :)
Like a Tesla Plad - accelerates like an animal, breaks like train (too late)...

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I like how get out clause, he 'thinks' the iMac Pro is still in development and will launch sometime...

lam0218

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2022
More iPhone models will eventually have ProMotion in the future.
the next XDR Pro Display may have ProMotion.
Next iPad Air and iPad mini will eventually have ProMotion in the future.

Miha_v

macrumors regular
May 18, 2018
Thinking out loud: launching new chip (in lower end Macs first) could partially canibalize sales of all other Macs... would it make sense to update their whole "M" Mac line with a new chip at the same time?

Reactions: amartinez1660

lam0218

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2022
everyone can predict that all in one iMac 27 will come back one day.

Currently, Apple push you to buy the Studio Display and Mac mini/Mac studio if u are looking for an iMac 27 or iMac Pro.

Reactions: CVUSA

BigSmurf

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2018
These are indeed multiyear projects. I am for now more curious how much quicker an M2 will be vs M1 for typical apps - 15%? 30%? Like an M1 Pro? How much more frugal?

lam0218

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2022
Thinking out loud: launching new chip (in lower end Macs first) could partially cannibalise sales of all other Macs... would it make sense to update their whole "M" Mac line with a new chip at the same time?
They won't. If they bring out M2, M2 Pro, M2 Max at the same time later this year. What will those Mac Studio, MacBook Pro 14/16 end user feel about ? I can predict that they will only bring out M2 this year for refresh 2020 MBA, Mac mini.

But the M2 will make those M1 Pro model less worth to buy. M2 won't have those encode unit just in the M1 Pro/max/ultra. So people who want power will still need to buy m1 pro, max,ultra

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68030
Sep 29, 2008
Is the M2 that bad? or just a minor revision?
Like any hardware team, Apple plans out ahead and works for years on products. They should have a 5-10 year plan already laid out. It could change if needed but people are sketching out ideas for chips coming out about a decade from now.

This means Apple is working on M2, M3, M4, and M5. Engineers might only be actively designing the M3 (the M2 should be basically set at this point) but there are people working on future generations of chips.

None of this means anything about performance or “major” or “minor” revision.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
A iMac “Pro” is not really needed with the Mac Studio better serving that group anyway. However a larger screen iMac for those who just want larger than 24” would still be very welcome.

uczcret

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2021
England
What about an updated Mac Pro? Is that still happening and if so when?
Apple hardly ever addresses rumours or comments on future products, yet they mentioned the AS Mac Pro as coming soon at the end of the Spring event. That pretty much confirms it's coming 100%.

As for when, that's just reading tea leaves, but a WWDC announcement with units shipping towards the end of the year seems to be the most prevalent rumour at the moment.

gonsawa_

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2021
I don't think believe it's late enough into M chips to know where the cycle will go. They may eventually settle into a one year cycle.
Macs have slower update refreshes than iPhones and iPads. People keep their macs for 6 to 8 years. Launching Pro machines every year would only decrease the value of the older ones, making them a less valuable purchase, especially during the months prior to the expected announcement of the new ones.

Reactions: lam0218

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
I believe that the "M" chip cycles will not be annual, I guess it will be one and a half or two years. Macs have a much longer life cycle.

However, I don't understand why the iMac won't get the M2, I don't think it will change anything internally, and well, some boost in sales would give it during 2022/2023, along with new colors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.