Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Hey guys,

So a few days ago, I had the issue that iOS (for whatever reason) completely deleted my recently updated apps list (see here). Since then, the list is repopulating which is good but app updates in general are super glitchy since this incident, so I decided to create this new thread. Bugs I encountered so far are:
  • Newly updated apps appear at the BOTTOM of the recently updated apps list instead of at the TOP
  • Updated apps display the version number below the title instead of "today" (the update date)
  • When a download is ongoing (blue circle), it stops, displays "Update" again, and then shows the circle again when the app is installing
  • Finished downloads stay in the list of available updates even though they're done ("Update all" is greyed out then)
What is this mess? I could fix all of these issues by re-launching the App Store so far but it really gets annoying. What's going on? Anyone else also encountering this in the last few days? Thanks!

EDIT: Just to clarify: I don't ALWAYS encounter these issues but I encountered each of these issues at least once so far in the last few days. Restarting the phone didn't help.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I have same issues - also when I do an update all - it only updates 1 app - then I have to do it again or do update on each update available.

Reactions: chris4565

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
I have same issues - also when I do an update all - it only updates 1 app - then I have to do it again or do update on each update available.
Thanks for your answer. Glad that I'm at least not alone. Updates are still buggy unfortunately. Recently, the App Store displayed 1 new update but I couldn't see any. Then (after a while), Reddit showed up in the recently updated list even though I did NOT update it. Then I clicked on it and I saw the "Update" button. Then I went back into the updates list and then it displayed the "Update" button even though the app was in the recently updated list. Eventually, it finally showed up as a "normal" update but it's still weird. Something very glitchy is still going on there...

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Sorry for bringing this issue up again but I still encounter these glitches. Ever since I had the issue where my app update history list got deleted, app updates are buggy (even though the history list is populating normally again now).

I found a 100% reliable way to reproduce glitchy app updates for me:
  1. Go into the app updates list in the App Store.
  2. Pull down to refresh.
  3. When a new update shows up, click on "Update".
Normal behavior: The app moves down to the recently updated apps list as soon as the download + install is finished.

Actual behavior: App still stays up in the updates list for up to 5 seconds (after the install is finished and the button already displays "Open") and only then moves down to the recently updated apps list.

Now this doesn't look like a huge issue. However:
  • The above is just one of the bugs I encounter (see original post for a more complete list).
  • iPhone is running really hot while updating apps.
Anyone else also having these issues? Thanks!

Reactions: Böhme417

Böhme417

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
I don't have the problem with it deleting anything, but I do have the bug(s) with updated apps not moving out of the list of available updates as well as the progress indicator randomly disappearing.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
I don't have the problem with it deleting anything, but I do have the bug(s) with updated apps not moving out of the list of available updates as well as the progress indicator randomly disappearing.
Thank you for your answer! It's a bit of a relief that it seems that I'm at least not alone with the issue. I tried something: I signed out of the App Store, closed all apps, rebooted my iPhone, and then signed back into the App Store. This made my update history disappear (this is normal I guess).

But my hope is that this will fix the buggy updates. I will report back!!

Maymacx

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2023
Hi Chris, I see the same glitches on two Iphones.

When there are for example 10 apps to update, I click on "update all". At first they start to normally update but some of them seem to stop and the update button appears for them again. If I do nothing at all they resume at some point to update. However I think they actually never stop to update because if I watch the update circle closely they do not resume at the point where they "stopped". Therefore I think it is just a display bug.

I also see the delay for finished updates when they are moved to the recently updated list.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Hi Chris, I see the same glitches on two Iphones.

When there are for example 10 apps to update, I click on "update all". At first they start to normally update but some of them seem to stop and the update button appears for them again. If I do nothing at all they resume at some point to update. However I think they actually never stop to update because if I watch the update circle closely they do not resume at the point where they "stopped". Therefore I think it is just a display bug.

I also see the delay for finished updates when they are moved to the recently updated list.
Thanks a lot for your response. Looks like it's buggy not only for me then.

As an update, what I wrote in post #6 helped partially. Sometimes it's fixed, sometimes it's still buggy...

Reactions: JemTheWire

JemTheWire

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
Manchester (UK)
Update:

After signing out and then back in the App Store the problem seems to be resolved for me. I have now had several app updates and they have all gone as they should without issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.