Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
I have an iPhone 8 with a blown earpiece speaker. The phone is perfect otherwise (other than a battery that’s depleted and needing replaced). I am contemplating having the speaker replaced at an Apple Store however there’s no indication as to how much such a repair would cost me. I am just looking for a ballpark figure if anyone has an idea? I tried speaking to an Apple assistant on iMessenger however they couldn’t give me an approximate cost of repair and told me to book a reservation and have the phone inspected.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Ahh, I found the answer on the Apple website via the community forum.

Looks like Apple will charge a $329 flat fee for such repairs. That’s obviously laughably overpriced and a hard pass from me. Looks like I’ll just go to a repair shop where I’ll be charged $50 or less.

BigTimEnergy

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2024
UK
For the record it depends which component has failed as to which part will need replacing.

From memory for iPhone 8, bottom speaker and receiver were both component repairs for about £70, but front mic and rear mic were both a whole unit replacement for +£300

Reactions: Andeddu

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
For the record it depends which component has failed as to which part will need replacing.

From memory for iPhone 8, bottom speaker and receiver were both component repairs for about £70, but front mic and rear mic were both a whole unit replacement for +£300
I see, that’s what the commenter on the Apple community forum said, that the entire device would be replaced via a refurb as replacing the earpiece would render the device unserviceable.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Random update re my iPhone 8 - with the earpiece working as good as new, I decided to get an OEM battery replacement from Apple so that they’d properly reseal the device. My battery was also sitting at 83% and in dire need of replacement.

IMG_3681.jpeg
IMG_3682.jpeg

IMG_3683.jpeg

I’ll use it as a secondary device after I retire my 6S again around November this year. I replaced the battery on that last year and I don’t want it degrade it too much before sticking it into storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.