Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon's Omni and 4-Series Fire TVs will support AirPlay 2 and HomeKit in a future update, the company has announced (via The Verge).

amazon-omni-tv.jpg

Amazon's Omni and 4-Series Omni TVs launch today, featuring 4K HDR, voice controls with Amazon Alexa, and close integration with the Fire TV user experience. Upon the launch of the new TVs, Amazon today announced that it plans to add support for AirPlay 2 and HomeKit "soon."

AirPlay 2 will allow users to easily play content from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to an Amazon TV, while HomeKit integration allows some of the TV's functions to be controlled from the Home app or with Siri.

Amazon first expressed interest in AirPlay 2 and HomeKit when it enabled these features on its 2020 model year "Fire TV Edition" TVs made by Toshiba and Insignia, but they are unavailable on standalone plug-in Fire TV streaming devices. Progressively more brands have been adding AirPlay 2 and HomeKit functionality in recent months, but it is still unavailable on most TV sets.

Article Link: Amazon TVs to Support AirPlay 2 and HomeKit

Reactions: Solomani

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
this is good news - great to see Homekit and Airplay2 universally adopted.
That should also pave the way for thread and matter ...

Reactions: npmacuser5

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Amazon TV's are pretty decent for a dorm, home gym, garage, or kitchen. It wouldn't be my first choice for primary viewing but I wouldn't knock someone for getting one. This would be great for a friend of mine who regularly gets bored while watching TV.

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
this is good news - great to see Homekit and Airplay2 universally adopted.
That should also pave the way for thread and matter ...
“Will support” means it all could be an attempt at a headline but never actually come to fruition. I’m very skeptical.

Reactions: readyaimfire

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Amazon's Omni and 4-Series Omni TVs launch today, featuring 4K HDR, voice controls with Amazon Alexa, and close integration with the Fire TV user experience. Upon the launch of the new TVs, Amazon today announced that it plans to add support for AirPlay 2 and HomeKit "soon."
While Amazon's TVs can process HDR, they have very low peak brightness and no local dimming zones. By all practical intent and purpose, they are SDR TVs that can view HDR and Dolby Vision as SDR (just like non-XDR equipped iPads).

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
When you own MGM and all their content you make a TV. When your app is Apple TV with one or two new shows per month what do you do?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It wouldn't be my first choice for primary viewing but I wouldn't knock someone for getting one.
You're too kind. I'd definitely knock someone for getting one. Amazon ranks just behind behind Facebook in my list of trustworthy companies.

Reactions: icanhazmac

KindJamz

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2021
You're too kind. I'd definitely knock someone for getting one. Amazon ranks just behind behind Facebook in my list of trustworthy companies.
So you never shop at Amazon? Wow. I’d rather save a few $ and wait a day for it

I’m impressed. Your using your dollars to make a point

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
You might be in the minority on this. Most consumers rank Amazon above Apple in terms of trust, privacy and even likability. I don't understand the survey results myself except that Amazon might still be seen as a retailer/delivery company more than a tech/gadget company so people need them for basic necessities and supplies especially during a pandemic.

Reactions: npmacuser5

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Next integration. Amazon needs to add their studio speakers to Airplay2 and HomeKit.

thebryceman

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2004
USA
Please, please, please add Airplay 2 to the FireTV sticks as well. Would make a fantastic device for projectors and travel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.