Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smckenzie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2022
Thinking of moving on from my 7,1 with dual 6800XT Duo's and wondering if there's any alternative places to list it apart from eBay?

My account doesn't qualify for the classifieds on MR unfortunately.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
Thinking of moving on from my 7,1 with dual 6800XT Duo's and wondering if there's any alternative places to list it apart from eBay?

My account doesn't qualify for the classifieds on MR unfortunately.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I wish I knew of some places, beyond craigs list. Will be interesting to see.

Curious what you're thinking of moving to?

smckenzie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2022
I've had success with Craigslist in the past, but can't imagine it's the right place for this price point. Really don't like the idea of getting robbed by eBay and PayPal fees.

PC for 3D.

As much as it pains me the 7,1 just isn't fast enough. An AMD 7950x is twice as fast than the 28 Core Xeon on the V-Ray CPU benchmark. I have the 16 core. On GPU, the 2 6800XT Duos are roughly equivalent to a RTX 4070 on the Redshift render benchmark. That's not bad considering there age (lets forget about the price oof) but Redshift is the only engine you can use them on a Mac. I fear for how much longer Maxon will want to support the Intel platform.

avro707

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2010
Really only eBay as far as I can see.

And then you can only deal with local buyers because international shipping for a machine the size of a 7,1 is prohibitively expensive. I checked UPS for shipping with insurance and it was the cost of a laptop computer!

Unless you can move it on to the major Mac resellers. But they'll probably want to pay you lowest amount possible and then move the computer for a premium.

Good luck with the PC. I suspect a lot of us Mac Pro folk are going to be going that way - far more powerful.

smckenzie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2022
Really only eBay as far as I can see.

And then you can only deal with local buyers because international shipping for a machine the size of a 7,1 is prohibitive.

Unless you can move it on to the major Mac resellers. But they'll probably want to pay you lowest amount possible and then move the computer for a premium.

Good luck with the PC. I suspect a lot of us Mac Pro folk are going to be going that way - far more powerful.
That's what I figured but you never know.

I have a PC with an I9 14900KF in it, so snappy but it is hard to cool although I haven't had many issues with it, but thinking of switching to AMD, which would be a first. Despite the lack of speed, I still go back to the Mac as it's a nicer place to be. Such a shame.

Carrotstick

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2024
That's what I figured but you never know.

I have a PC with an I9 14900KF in it, so snappy but it is hard to cool although I haven't had many issues with it, but thinking of switching to AMD, which would be a first. Despite the lack of speed, I still go back to the Mac as it's a nicer place to be. Such a shame.
AMD’s high end CPUs can still be cooled with good Air coolers, consume less power and are more stable than Intel CPU these days. They also support more than 2 CPU generations on their motherboards.

The 9950X is releasing next month and I would wait for that. The 7950X might get discounted further.

Reactions: Rimmsi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.