Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe today announced it has updated its popular video editing app Premiere Pro with native support for Macs powered by the M1 chip, including the base 13-inch MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, 24-inch iMac, and Mac mini.

premiere-pro-mac.jpg

Creative Cloud apps like Premiere Pro run over 80% faster on an M1 Mac compared to an identically configured Intel-based Mac on average, according to Adobe.

Adobe plans to extend native support for Apple silicon to its After Effects app with a public beta later this year, after updating its Illustrator, InDesign, and Lightroom Classic apps to run natively on M1 Macs early last month.

Premiere Pro has also received a new Speech to Text feature, offering an integrated and automated workflow for creating transcriptions and captions.

Adobe detailed more new Premiere Pro and After Effects features in a blog post.

Article Link: Adobe Updates Premiere Pro to Run Natively on M1 Macs

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
It missing anything, or is it 100% there? This is a big one I’ve been waiting for. It’s going to be hard to hold back from pulling the trigger on a 14” M1X MBP this autumn…

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
It missing anything, or is it 100% there? This is a big one I’ve been waiting for. It’s going to be hard to hold back from pulling the trigger on a 14” M1X MBP this autumn…
I’m assuming it may still be missing support from any plugins that haven’t been updated (if Rosetta doesn’t cover them well). Still, a good signal for Plug-in vendors to get on board.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Who's using what these days? Where does Premiere sit?

Would this be a fair generalization?

Hollywood: Final Cut Pro and Premiere
YouTubers: Resolve and LumaFusion
Beginners: iMovie
Avid is still big in high end post. So I’d put Avid and Premiere in the Hollywood camp. Thought Youtubers were big in FCPX.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Adobe needs more than native M1 support to woo all of the people who are tired of Adobe Premiere's unoptimized co-base & crashing mid-project.

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007

Hollywood: Avid and Premiere and Resolve (Finishing)
YouTubers: Premiere/Final Cut Pro/iMovie and Resolve (Finishing)
Beginngers: Final Cut Pro/iMovie

Resolve still isn't an 'editor' it's finishing and is used by Hollywood & YouTubers. Hollywood basically won't touch FCPX, I see it in my editor circles, and in industry circles. It's built for a single user to edit a single thing, not share.

poked

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2014

Hollywood would probably also have after effects for editing, but I don’t know that editor transitions for third-party media (I.e pppular video editing for Instagram fans) is going to be a huge jump. It is in ad transitions if you know what to look for, though. Or you’re just speaking to the editors that are already updated?

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
I’m pleasantly surprised that Adobe is being this quick with the transition. Maybe behind the scenes Apple has been pushing them.

All of the Adobe Apps I use daily are native now, now all that’s missing for me is a ASi MacBook Pro 16”

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I’m pleasantly surprised that Adobe is being this quick with the transition. Maybe behind the scenes Apple has been pushing them.

All of the Adobe Apps I use daily are native now, now all that’s missing for me is a ASi MacBook Pro 16”
Apple has been pushing all of their developers for years, without many of them even realizing it. Things like Metal and all of the other higher-level APIs and frameworks that Apple has been building and encouraging folks to write to is what is making this transition so smooth. Apple can worry about lower-level issues associated with the new microarchitecture, and developers don’t have to think about it, because it’s all abstracted away.

Virgilisleading

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
As someone that works in Hollywood everyday. I don't think I know a single editor that uses Premiere for any sort of Hollywood production. Maybe it's just super small independents but if you make TV or Film content you are probably using Avid. Davinci Resolve is growing a lot though.

And then in News people love Final Cut because it's just unmatchable for speed and stability. It's actually hard not to love Final Cut as an editor if you just get past the initial misconceptions. Even though big film and tv projects only want you to edit in Avid.

But man Final Cut is just SOOO fast. Just ran a test of the exact same project, it took 34 minutes in Premiere and it took 2 minutes and 35 seconds to render out in Final Cut.

I'm just so confused as to why people use Premiere. I've always wanted to know. It's slower than all the other editors, It's not able to be as bare metal native like Final Cut, It's not an industry standard like Avid, it's not free like Resolve. It's not stable and it's sooooo slow. Is it just what people are used to. I've always been curious why people would actively choose to work in it.

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Hollywood: Avid and Premiere and Resolve (Finishing)
YouTubers: Premiere/Final Cut Pro/iMovie and Resolve (Finishing)
Beginngers: Final Cut Pro/iMovie

Resolve still isn't an 'editor' it's finishing and is used by Hollywood & YouTubers. Hollywood basically won't touch FCPX, I see it in my editor circles, and in industry circles. It's built for a single user to edit a single thing, not share.
Just to break it down further…

Hollywood (Show Production): AVID
Hollywood (marketing, etc.): Premiere
Hollywood (Finishing): Resolve
YouTubers: FCPX, Resolve
Mom N Dad: iMovie

At our network, we’re taking a close look at Resolve for editing as well, though that would be a year or two out. It’s arguably turned into a superior editing platform than Premiere, which has basically been stagnant for the last 5 years or so, since Apple handed them the pro market on a silver platter with the FCPX debacle.

poked

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2014
Any difference between premiere and AE? Can’t find any video editing for the content I do for anything BUT AE, so I figured it was the best option out of all of em.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.