Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe today announced the release of major updates across its Creative Cloud software suite. Most notably, its Illustrator, InDesign, and Lightroom Classic apps now run natively on Macs with the M1 chip, resulting in faster performance.

adobe-m1-chip.jpg

Creative Cloud apps are on average over 80% faster on an M1 Mac compared to an identically configured Intel-based Mac, according to Adobe.

Additional notable new features and workflow improvements in today's releases, per Adobe:
  • Lightroom Ecosystem: New Premium Presets, collaborative editing capabilities, Super Resolution in Lightroom and Lightroom Classic (previously available in Adobe Camera Raw), and custom crop aspect ratios in Lightroom
  • Powerful new retouching features in Photoshop Express, including skin smoothing, content aware healing, face aware liquify and caricature
  • Custom brushes in Photoshop on iPad
  • Rotate View in Illustrator on desktop
  • New styling tools in Adobe XD: Inner Shadow, Outline Stroke, and Angular Gradient
Premiere Pro with native support for the M1 chip remains in beta, with a public release coming soon, according to Adobe.

Article Link: Adobe Updates Illustrator, InDesign, and Lightroom Classic to Run Natively on M1 Macs

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Can Express transform me into Kim Kardashian with one click please tired of looking like a brainless CrossFit redneck with eyes very close together.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Thanks for the news. Will they update the Elements applications (Photoshop, Premiere) too this year?

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2021
My testing of an After Effects (running through Rosetta of course) render on an M1 mini compared to iMac Retina 5k 27-inch Late 2015 does not show 80% improvement. More like 2%.
That's still impressive for low-power silicon running under Rosetta emulation.

Reactions: Tagbert

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
They will come back... eventually... in a couple of years. A bit like AMD did 3-4 years ago, because let's admit it, AMD was in bad posture in the beginning of 2010s.

Meanwhile we'll be able to enjoy Apple Silicon for years to come :)

I'm starting to think Intel is getting ready to focus on foundry work. They're building another plant in the US to try and compete against TMSC for chip manufacturing.

I don't think Intel will return to form this time, the market has been changing to ARM-based chips for quite some time in the server world. Many of your average consumer will look at a price tag long before specs, then memory and storage. Those of us (me included) are among a minority now.

Since AMD holds an ARM license, plus makes server-based products with it, Intel may not try to enter the market. They may just manufacture chips for Apple, Microsoft, Dell, AMD, Samsung, Qualcomm and so on.

Mind you, if X86 is going to die, it will still take time before that happens.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
My testing of an After Effects (running through Rosetta of course) render on an M1 mini compared to iMac Retina 5k 27-inch Late 2015 does not show 80% improvement. More like 2%.

Admittedly I'm not a professional tester, but it was a real world test - no plugins.
The new one should not be running under rosetta. So the fact that it was still 2% faster than an old 2015 iMac shows just how close emulation on M1 is to the real thing. You may see more like double the performance once you run the native version of the apps on your M1 system.

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006

Admittedly I'm not a professional tester, but it was a real world test - no plugins.
Obviously the 80% figure is an average of Adobe apps running natively. See full report for details - after effects was not tested.

Reactions: Wizec and Wilburx3

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
They will come back... eventually... in a couple of years. A bit like AMD did 3-4 years ago, because let's admit it, AMD was in bad posture in the beginning of 2010s.

Meanwhile we'll be able to enjoy Apple Silicon for years to come :)
Intel was ahead in those times because they had the SoC brain ! No wonder Apple is miles ahead for a decade
Apple stole Intels brain

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Can Express transform me into Kim Kardashian with one click please tired of looking like a brainless CrossFit redneck with eyes very close together.
Unfortunately modern technology can only do so much

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
80% faster than on Intel? Google "Adobe Creative Cloud slow" to temper that statement slightly.

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Seems everyone has been working months to their M1 updates out this week in preparation for new MBPs, which as we all know didn't come. Seems like a surprise to everyone. Since not announced now, would seem almost certain they will now wait until Monterrey is released and ship all new MBPs with that. So the wait continues. Even if wasn't ready to ship wish they had just announce it so we could salivate and plan accordingly in the meantime, but that of course isn't usually apple's style.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Seems everyone has been working months to their M1 updates out this week in preparation for new MBPs, which as we all know didn't come. Seems like a surprise to everyone. Since not announced now, would seem almost certain they will now wait until Monterrey is released and ship all new MBPs with that. So the wait continues. Even if wasn't ready to ship wish they had just announce it so we could salivate and plan accordingly in the meantime, but that of course isn't usually apple's style.
When we work for M1 , we work for a east a decade...is not like Apple will change to x86

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
This is kind of like back when we had PPC, Altivec and dual socketed G4's and G5's. But, WAY BETTER.
intel will have to make a remarkable comeback to get back to par let alone ahead of Apple Silicon. AMD is already ahead of intel and they keep coming. M2 may be more than 2x current M1 performance because they have so much more headroom. Going from an 8 core design on the GPU to 16 or 32 doesn't seem that far fetched. And from 4 high performance cores to 8 or 16, again doesn't seem that hard for them to do. All without increasing clock speed. And if they did increase clock speed, they seem to have lots of thermal room to work with too. These chips barely need fans, let a long a heat pipe or crazy cooling heatsinks.

My guess for the next round will be up to 32 CPU cores (4 low power 28 high, and higher clocked). 32GPU cores, 128GB ram (up to), and double the thunderbolt/USB controllers/ports.

Reactions: FightTheFuture

davidwes

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004

Umm, the article is about the apps now being native and therefore being 80% faster. Of course rosetta would be slower.

IamTimCook

Suspended
Dec 13, 2016

This is where people are getting confused about the M1's performance. It's not just the M1's speed gains of using an SOC design (which is extremely good on the M1) but it's also the combination of apps running new ARM instruction sets.

The "speed ups" all the app developers are showing when they release a native ARM version is a combination of the two, M1 SOC and ARM instruction sets.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018

Seriously? You think that is equivalent? You even stated Rosetta. so a low power M1 processor beats a full on desktop CPU while running an emulator, and you are not impressed? the article specifically said that "NATIVE", which are faster than emulated, BTW is 80% faster. so there you go

ChrisMoBro

Suspended
Oct 31, 2016

The main caveat there is you were using Rosetta. It's like two runners in a race where one has his legs tied together. If you want to do a more scientific test, as opposed to your project file, is to download Puget Systems AE benchmarking tool but the only way to truly be able to see the improvement is to wait for an M1 version of AE.

Last edited:

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
hardware announcements at WWDC are rare indeed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.