Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
I’ve been riding this rodeo pretty much since Apple started posting dev seeds way back, so I know high heat is a common side effect of running betas. All of that said, the 18b3 release hit some kind of record for me where I actually burned myself on the aluminum sides when I picked up my phone (15 Pro). I’ve seen hot, but never so hot that it left angry red marks.

Now my phone is lying down in a cool, dark place to work out its issues while I ponder life, the universe, and everything.

• Wow
Reactions: HuNay

Line_Noise

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2023
Under Settings > Battery do you have a banner reading “Update Finishing in Background” still?

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
Under Settings > Battery do you have a banner reading “Update Finishing in Background” still?
Didn’t check. It’s not there now and the phone isn’t as hot. I wasn’t worried about it - the heat always happens at some level. It was just surprising that it actually burned me.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
I was thinking of putting mine in the fridge if I updated to a beta and then slapped myself out of it thinking if you have to cool your phone to run a beta, don't run the beta :)

Reactions: yaboid01

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
The 15 Pro has a titanium frame, not aluminum.

My 15PM was pretty hot during and right after the update. It‘s been sitting on a wireless charger over night (I wonder how hot it got on there) and has been pretty cool (tiny bit of warmth in certain apps) ever since.

Battery has been okay to be fair. I‘m rocking 70% with dual Sim since I took it off the charger (approximately 7h ago). It‘s a bit worse than with the latest official iOS 17 release but not as bad as I feared.

Reactions: HuNay

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
The 15 Pro has a titanium frame, not aluminum.

My 15PM was pretty hot during and right after the update. It‘s been sitting on a wireless charger over night (I wonder how hot it got on there) and has been pretty cool (tiny bit of warmth in certain apps) ever since.

Battery has been okay to be fair. I‘m rocking 70% with dual Sim since I took it off the charger (approximately 7h ago). It‘s a bit worse than with the latest official iOS 17 release but not as bad as I feared.
Not really relevant to the heating topic but the 15 Pros have a titanium shell with an aluminum chassis inside.

Reactions: TimFL1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.