Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I have recently set the 80% limit for my battery on my iPhone 15 Pro Max, Watch Ultra and my M4 iPad Pro. I have never done this before and although I can still last the day, it takes a bit of getting used to, to not see 100% charged in the morning.

Do you use the 80% limit or not? Do you think it’s worth it?

Reactions: hovscorpion12

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I have recently set the 80% limit for my battery on my iPhone 15 Pro Max, Watch Ultra and my M4 iPad Pro. I have never done this before and although I can still last the day, it takes a bit of getting used to, to not see 100% charged in the morning.

I use this on my iPad, but I typically find myself having to charge it at least once in the afternoon. I guess right now, it’s too early to tell whether this will be worth it (since the benefits are very long term), and I will never really know how much battery health it actually ends up preserving.

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I’ve never bothered to set the 80% limit. I charge when the battery gets too low. With the M4 and during the work week, I maybe charge the IPP every 2-3 days to 100% and on the weekends once a day.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

I leave my M1 12.9” plugged in for 24 hours daily during the work week so I’d appreciate having this feature. Right now I’m using a HomeKit Smart Plug + iOS Shortcuts so its stays between 70-80%.

I would never use it on my iPad mini though. I just use that one too much that an 80% limit would be too limiting (no pun intended).

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
Is it for my iPhone and I still have 100% battery capacity which is excellent still, this feature has definitely helped preserve my battery. Will use it for MacOS

Reactions: ViP3l2

sk1985

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2006
Just use Apple’s battery and clean energy automation. It’s never failed me on any device.

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Just use Apple’s battery and clean energy automation. It’s never failed me on any device.
I don’t think my M4 IPP has the same automated “Optimized Battery Charging” option as my iPhone that syncs it to usage patterns, time of day, etc.

I believe when I went looking for it the other day, the iPad only had 80%/100% options.

Aka757

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Houston
I have it turned on my iPad but it’s too early to tell what sort of impact it will have. That being said, I don’t have that or optimized battery charging turned on my iPhone which I leave plugged in while I’m working, and it’s at 100% health after 208 cycles, so who knows how much longevity it adds

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Instead of all this psychology angst/etc, wouldn't it have been nice to address this like addressing "you're holding it wrong?" and making a simple software tweak to make 80% in reality show as 100%? Then, it will do whatever this 80% setting is supposed to do while the user gets the psychological satisfaction of feeling they are fully charged... instead of "wasting" 20% additional charge by leaving it unused.

And/or add a bit more physical battery to make what was a 100% charge equivalent to actually using 80% of the enhanced battery. That too would deliver the target benefit without the mental angst.

Last edited:

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Instead of all this psychology angst/etc, wouldn't it have been nice to address this like addressing "you're holding it wrong?" and making a simple software tweak to make 80% in reality show as 100%? Then, it will do whatever this 80% setting is supposed to do while the user gets the psychological satisfaction of feeling they are fully charged... instead of "wasting" 20% additional charge by leaving it unused.

And/or add a bit more physical battery to make what was a 100% charge equivalent actually use 80% of the enhanced battery. That too would deliver the target benefit without the mental angst.
The problem then is that you can never set it to use the actual 100%. there is no problem if you charge it to 100% when you know you’ll be away and using the battery a lot. It mainly helps for the daily usage when you aren’t using 100% most days and its better if you don’t keep it pegged to 100%.

I have had my iPhone 15 Pro since launch day and at 175 cycle count, it is still at 100% capacity. I normally keep it on an 80% limit, but sometimes, like last week when on a road trip, I switched it to 100%. Most day’s I’m only using about 40-50% anyway so charging to 100% is pointless.

Last edited:

ZZ9pluralZalpha

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014

And/or add a bit more physical battery to make what was a 100% charge equivalent actually use 80% of the enhanced battery. That too would deliver the target benefit without the mental angst.
Wouldn't this result in a thicker, heavier, slightly costlier iPhone with oddly poor advertised battery life?

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I guess it depends on how you use your iPhone and if you can easily top it up, if needed.

FWIW, I used it on my iPhone 15 from the beginning and have a 100% battery capacity after 167 charge cycles.

Reactions: julesme and Tagbert

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Hellllll no. I’ve had iOS devices since the very first in 2007. I’ve never babied my devices. I’ve never paid attention to charging habits and just used them the way i wanted to and by the time i upgrade and sell my old one, somehow my battery health is still good. So, why would i add ANY difficulty or battery anxiety to my life? Reminds me of people who buy a new car and are fearful of putting miles on it. You bought it. Use it. Get your value out of it

JonnyBlaze

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
UK
I would use it if I was using my iPad in a dock style situation, where it was plugged in all day to an external screen. Not in general unplugged use though.

Deine Mudda

macrumors member
May 16, 2022

I would never use it.
The benefits are so long term and minimalistic that it’s just a gimmick to me.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

I wouldn't bother doing it.

The battery is a wear item and just get it replaced when it wears out.

Lyrics23

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2023
It’s definitely worth using if 80% charge is all you need from your battery each day anyway, as scientifically the option will prolong the battery health long-term. So you get a long term benefit with no downsides.

If you regularly need more than just the 80% charge and using the feature means you have to charge more often during the day and you find that an inconvenience, then disable the setting. At that point there’s no real benefit, because what’s the point in prolonging the battery health if you’re effectively living with a battery you’re artificially limiting to the same state as what a degraded battery would be like anyway?

But you should absolutely use the feature if it doesn’t affect your daily use, because in that situation there’s obviously no downsides, so there’s literally no reason not to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.