Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LG is aiming to begin mass production of display panels for a MacBook with a 20.2-inch or an 18.8-inch foldable screen in the fourth quarter of 2025, according to information shared today by Apple supply chain analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

space-black-mbp.jpg

In a post on Medium, Kuo said Apple is aiming to make the foldable screen "as crease-free as possible," which will require the use of high-cost components. As a result, he said the foldable MacBook could be nearly as expensive as Apple's Vision Pro headset, which starts at $3,499. The 16-inch MacBook Pro currently starts at $2,499.

Kuo estimated that foldable MacBook shipments will exceed one million units in 2026, suggesting that the device will launch in around two years from now.

He expects the device to feature Apple's next-generation M5 chip, which has yet to be announced.

Kuo is one of three sources to have mentioned a 20-inch MacBook, alongside display industry analyst Ross Young and Korean website The Elec. However, there is no guarantee that the device progresses beyond the prototyping stage.

Article Link: 20-Inch MacBook With Nearly 'Crease-Free' Foldable Screen Rumored

Last edited:
Reactions: JPack

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Until foldable is 100% crease free, hard pass. Can't say I really would want it anyway.

I wonder how/where this crease will be? When considering a foldable iPhone/iPad it is very easy to imagine using the "half" device and then unfolding it for basically a 2x size device, how does one fold a laptop?

Last edited:

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I don't see how they will make the mechanism thin enough for a MacBook and not have a noticeable crease.

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
Im guessing this will be a improved version of something like Lenovo X1 fold. You can use like a regular clamshell notebook with either virtual keyboard or overlay physical keyboard (like the HP Spectre foldable). The 2nd use case is unfolded for the full 20" experience with external mouse keyboard. As a traveling consultant I would welcome the extra screen real estate and ability to use like a desktop when stationary and as a more traditional clamshell laptop when traveling.
Will be interesting to see how much Apple can improve on the weight, thickness, crease, etc. for the existing HP and Lenovo folding notebooks.
The big news here of course is that Apple is FINALLY trying a different form factor other than the traditional clamshell, no touch design that they have had for decades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.