Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone 16 Pro models configured with 1TB of storage could feature slower read and write speeds to reduce costs, DigiTimes reports.

iPhone-16-Mock-Header-Updated-1.jpg

The change is part of Apple's potential switch to higher-density Quad-Level Cell (QLC) NAND flash memory for its 1TB iPhone models, which the company is said to currently be "actively evaluating." Apple currently uses costlier Triple-Level Cell (TLC) NAND.

Using QLC NAND would allow Apple to cram more storage into a smaller space and comes at a lower price, but with the disadvantage of slower read and write speeds. QLC NAND can also be less durable and reliable than TLC NAND, handling constant write operations less effectively. Apple could, of course, seek to mitigate these issues with specific optimizations.

The report adds that adopting QLC NAND could make offering iPhones with up to 2TB of storage viable for the first time. A 1TB iPhone 15 Pro Max is priced at $1,599, $200 more than the 512GB model, so a future 2TB model would need to be cost-effective, as well as contain flash storage that is sufficiently compact inside the device.

New iPhone models with 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB of storage are highly likely to stick with TLC NAND for the foreseeable future. Although TLC NAND is still widespread in the industry, QLC NAND is expected to account for about 20% of all NAND shipments from the second half of 2023 to the first half of 2024, suggesting that its usage is growing despite its drawbacks.

Article Link: 1TB iPhone 16 Pro Models Could Face Performance Setback

Last edited:

kevcube

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2020
I take thousands of photos and videos and I’ve still yet to even come close to filling a 256gb phone. What are you all doing that you need that much space?
some people just like spending as much money as possible. especially with USB-C now I see NO need for this much storage on an iPhone, but I know people who will max it out and still upgrade yearly.

Reactions: ToyoCorollaGR

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2022
I take thousands of photos and videos and I’ve still yet to even come close to filling a 256gb phone. What are you all doing that you need that much space?
I don't get this either. Do people casually take 10000 photos every week? Can't they offload old photos and videos to the home NAS or cloud storage? Do people really need to have 5 year old photos still in their pocket on the local storage?

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
From the description it seems there is something of a catch 22 situation as fitting 1 TB of the current fast technology wouldn't be possible. And it certainly doesn't make sense to design the phone around one specific use case.

Reactions: Kengineer

aidler

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Yeah, I agree. For those top and totally overpriced models, the top priority is to reduce costs and worsen the user experience. Makes sense 🤣

Reactions: t0rqx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.