Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Böhme417

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
I debated about about updating to 17.5.1. While I did have the photo issue, I had mostly cleared it up on my own before this update was released. I updated anyway, and now I am constantly have wifi connection issues. At home and at work, my phone constantly disconnects and reconnects to wifi. This is especially annoying at home, because it’s causing issues with me accessing stuff on my network. I’ve reset network settings, but that didn’t do anything (other than cause a headache). Anyone else have this? I know I saw some mention of wifi and cellular issues during the 17.5 betas, but I didn’t have this issue until I updated to 17.5.1.

jsd79

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2013
I’m having that issue on my 15P. In fact, in the time it took me to write this reply, it dropped WiFi, switched to LTE, then required WiFi. It’s happening a lot. (I’m also noticing problems with cell service connectivity, both calls and data.)

CouldBeWorse

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
I’m having that issue on my 15P. In fact, in the time it took me to write this reply, it dropped WiFi, switched to LTE, then required WiFi. It’s happening a lot. (I’m also noticing problems with cell service connectivity, both calls and data.)
I am having issues on my iPhone 15 Pro as well. Here is a comparison between my m4 13” iPad Pro and my iPhone 15 Pro. Tests were run on the same server, in the same spot, within a few minutes of each other.

Attachments

• IMG_9228.jpeg
    IMG_9228.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2969.jpeg
    IMG_2969.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 57

zackattack784

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
I was just having this issue too. It would disconnect from wifi whenever I locked my phone. Had no issues since I got the phone last year. I rebooted my router and phone and it didn’t help. Reset network settings. Same issue. Then all of a sudden it fixed itself. Been fine for the last week. Weird.

phoenixbt

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2015
Same issue here on 17.5.1 and an iPhone 15 pro max. Happening a lot here daily, seems to be more frequent if I’m using a lot of data, scrolling through YouTube videos, etc. I also notice the signal strength going between full and 2 a lot and I’m in the same spot.

All my other devices (iPad, MBP, Mac Studio) are fine so it’s not the WiFi. Anyone have luck fixing this? Or is this an iOS bug?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
@Böhme417

Haven't heard of this issue and are managing around 1500 i-devices at work and most are iPhone 14 (non pro).
Since you have the issue both at work and at home its less likely to be related to a WiFi vendor, a longshot but might be worth looking into if you know you are using prosumer network equipment at home (such as Ubiquity)

Do you use any network related software on your phone such as VPN gateways, antivirus, using a webproxy or anything that might cause an issue when its used via WiFi that usually is routed through a firewall or similar?

If possible, log onto you home router and check the logs for more info on your device and why its getting kicked out. Might be that the router is terminating the connection for some reason and the logs might tell you why.

Last edited:

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Haven't heard of this issue and are managing around 1500 i-devices at work and most are iPhone 14 (non pro).
I am wondering how many of these 1500 i-devices do you use as a mobile hotspot for a few hours straight?

I think most people don't experience issues simply because they are not using some functions at all or using it for a short period of 10-20 min.

Reactions: Reverend Benny

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I am wondering how many of these 1500 i-devices do you use as a mobile hotspot for a few hours straight?

I think most people don't experience issues simply because they are not using some functions at all or using it for a short period of 10-20 min.
Wasn't aware that the OP was reffering to using the phone as a mobile hotspot, I understood it as its the phone connecting to Wifi that's the issue?

Or are you curious if I have heard of hotspot issues from any of my users?
If so I cannot say I have. I am using my phone 14 (non pro) a few times a week when traveling by train as a hotspot, but that's not more than around 50 minutes.
I have used it a few hours in the past when away but that was a while ago now and with an older iOS version and cannot really say which one.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Wasn't aware that the OP was reffering to using the phone as a mobile hotspot, I understood it as its the phone connecting to Wifi that's the issue?
The WiFi will have to be on for the mobile hotspot to function, so it is the common denominator. Perhaps somebody will be able to chime in with regards to hotspot operation(1-3 hours, not just 10-20 min).

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
The WiFi will have to be on for the mobile hotspot to function, so it is the common denominator. Perhaps somebody will be able to chime in with regards to hotspot operation(1-3 hours, not just 10-20 min).
I have tried using my 13 pro (17.5.1) as a hot-spot for hours recently when travelling abroad and it worked fine. That was prob more along the line of 2-3 hours and used it with my PC.

But haven't used my iPhone 14 with 17.5.1 as a hotspot for that long, will see if I can try it during work this week and what the result is. Will let you know.

Reactions: avz

cigz

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2016
I am having wifi issues on my 13 Pro Max as well but in my case it stays connected to wifi all the time but everything keeps loading for ages, to this point that some apps are showing notification that they're unable to connect to the internet.

At first I thought that's my provider's issue, then I thought it's the router (I tried 3 different one) but everything except my iPhone on iOS 17.5.1 works all the time and I think that started on iOS 17.5.
Nothing loads on my phone but at the same exact moment internet works on my Mac without any problems.

I played online on my PS5 for 1,5h and there was not lag, not disconnects, nothing, I stopped playing, took my phone and it lost connectivity 3 times in 15 minutes of usage.
iOS 17 is the worst iOS in my experience. My god I have never had that many problems with iOS before, it really destroyed my 13PM and I loved that phone on iOS 15 and 16, now I hate it.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I am having wifi issues on my 13 Pro Max as well but in my case it stays connected to wifi all the time but everything keeps loading for ages, to this point that some apps are showing notification that they're unable to connect to the internet.

At first I thought that's my provider's issue, then I thought it's the router (I tried 3 different one) but everything except my iPhone on iOS 17.5.1 works all the time and I think that started on iOS 17.5.
Nothing loads on my phone but at the same exact moment internet works on my Mac without any problems.

I played online on my PS5 for 1,5h and there was not lag, not disconnects, nothing, I stopped playing, took my phone and it lost connectivity 3 times in 15 minutes of usage.
iOS 17 is the worst iOS in my experience. My god I have never had that many problems with iOS before, it really destroyed my 13PM and I loved that phone on iOS 15 and 16, now I hate it.
It could be a load of different things, maybe hardware too. But as I mentioned above, check network related services from the client side such as VPN, antivirus, proxyservices etc. If your phones managed from a company it could be worth checking with them if the have any odd settings that needs to be adjusted.

Another thing is to try and separate the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands if you have that function on your router, shouldn't be an issue but if you tried 3 different routers of the same make and model it could be that.

Last thing to do is to look into what your phones doing, if it works great on cellular and not WiFi check the router logs. If that gives you nothing then use a software from another client to do some traffic sniffing, might give you an idea on what's going on.

Another thing to try is to use a software on your iPhone to get an idea on if it can talk to other devices on the network. And if it's "only" reaching the internet that's the issues. Try a software such as Fing to see if you can scan other devices on the network. If you can do that and still not get out on the internet it's more likely a setting, app/software or something else blocking it.

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
Hey,
I was facing the same problem, but it got fixed after I restarted my router, forgot the Wifi network and rejoined it.

Have you tried doing this?
If yes and still facing this issue, then try turning your VPN off and then reconnecting to Wi-Fi.

Let me know if this was helpful.

Reactions: Reverend Benny

Böhme417

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
I do use a VPN but not usually while on my home network, so that shouldn't be causing me issues at home.

It's not a managed device, and I'm not having any mobile hotspot issues.

I have reset my home router, but that didn't help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.