Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new 13-inch MacBook Pro with the M2 chip appears to be faster than a base model Mac Pro in benchmarks, despite costing nearly $5,000 less.

13-inch-macbook-pro-and-mac-pro.jpeg

In an apparent Geekbench 5 result that surfaced on Wednesday, the new 13-inch MacBook Pro achieved a multi-core score of 8,928, while the standard Mac Pro configuration with an 8‑core Intel Xeon W processor has an average multi-core score of 8,027 on Geekbench 5. These scores suggest the new 13-inch MacBook Pro, which starts at $1,299, has up to 11% faster multi-core performance than the base model Mac Pro for $5,999.

Higher-end Mac Pro configurations are still able to outperform the M2 chip, such as the 12-core model, but at the cost of $6,999 and up.

Given the Mac Pro has other benefits like expandability, configurable GPU options, larger built-in SSD storage capacity options, and much larger RAM options, this certainly isn't an apples-to-apples comparison, but the benchmarks are nevertheless a testament to the impressive performance of Apple silicon chips in more affordable Macs.

A sample of average Geekbench 5 multi-core scores for various Macs:
  • Mac Studio with M1 Ultra: 23,366
  • Mac Pro with 28-core Intel Xeon W: 20,029
  • 14-Inch and 16-Inch MacBook Pro with M1 Max: 12,162 to 12,219
  • Mac Pro with 12-core Intel Xeon W: 11,919
  • 13-Inch MacBook Pro with M2: 8,928 (based on a single result)
  • Mac Pro with 8-core Intel Xeon W: 8,027
  • 13-Inch MacBook Pro and MacBook Air with M1: 7,395 to 7,420
The Mac Pro and the high-end Mac mini are the only Intel-based Macs remaining in Apple's lineup. During its March event, Apple teased that a new Mac Pro powered by Apple silicon is coming, with an announcement widely expected by the end of this year.

The new 13-inch MacBook Pro will be available to order worldwide starting this Friday, with deliveries to customers and in-store availability beginning June 24. Apple is also releasing a redesigned MacBook Air with the M2 chip in July that should likewise outperform the base model Mac Pro for an even lower starting price of $1,199.

Article Link: 13-Inch MacBook Pro With M2 Chip Outperforms Base Model Mac Pro Despite Costing Nearly $5,000 Less

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
There's a reason I call it the Meme Pro. What an overpriced joke of a computer.

At this point Apple should just pull it from sale even though we're a few months from the Apple Silicon Mac Pro. There's literally no point in owning one anymore outside of you just absolutely hate having money since Macs that are 1/3 of the base spec price outperform it in every imaginable way.

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
My M1 MBP is a beasty, though I wish it had even more power so I could leave the entire Adobe suite open 24/7, have dozens of tabs open, and all the rest. It's so freeing for your workflow to not have to close things. Especially when Adobe CC is so reliant on placing projects within each other and automatically displaying updates between those projects.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
why spend 5000 more when you can get the m2 MacBook Pro? apple has some serious marketing problems that needs to be worked on.
Marketing problem? Clearly Apple is doing fine from a revenue perspective. I think the angle should be focused on consumer awareness. Any consumer spending money on an Apple device should be wary to do so with any product nine months past its introduction without any significant sale.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
This is normal evolution. Tick/Tock. The slowest and cheapest MacBook made today runs circles around the top tier fastest MacPro of yesteryear.

Then the new MacPro will come out and become the current trophy holder - only to be supplanted in the future by the next laptop.

This leap frog cycle of laptop and Mac Pro has been going on for decades.

AtomicDusk

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
San Diego
I believe the Mac Pro uses the 2019 Cascade Lake Xeon W chips, which were released 3 years ago. Regardless they seem to be doing pretty well in multicore tasks, and may be a better overall machine with the video capabilities.

I'm not writing off the M2s, heck or the M1s, Apple's silicon is truly amazing. And I think for 99.99% of users, the M2 MBP will be the better machine.

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
I would just assume that any computer with a processor and RAM integrated on the same chip would be faster than one where they are separate chips on the motherboard and the transmission lines between them are much longer. But if you need lots of RAM for memory intensive work like 3D physics and engineering simulations you are going to be able to fit a lot more of it off chip than on chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.