Apple Home Severe Malfunction

A few days ago I began experiencing issues with my Apple Home app. Mainly, that I (the owner) was completely and utterly disconnected from my Home. I opened the app, to find an empty Home. No other residents listed, not any accessories or devices of any kind. The name of my home still remained, and all of the rooms. But every single connected device was simply not there. I updated my phone, but there was no difference. I checked to insure that all my devices were running the latest software, including the accessories, but still nothing. On all of the up-to-date devices linked to my Apple ID, it shows the same. I have other residents with access to the home, but no admin access. On all of the many devices all of the other residents have, it shows everything as normal, all residents including me (the owner) showing up as normal, all accessories as tested thus far at least working fine, just a bit slow. I later found out that they were working slowly, because all of the devices formerly set up as home hubs, were either “unavailable to be used as hubs” in the case of all 3 Apple TVs or disconnected entirely. The 3 HomePods scattered throughout the house when approached, would pop-up a “Set Up” menu for the HomePods. They also were unavailable for Airplaying media, and did not show up whatsoever in the Home app. Aka, nearly everything in the home is screwed up in its entirety, and the only one with admin access and the ability to invite people into the home, doesn’t have access to any functionality of the home, though it shows me as the owner in the Home apps of every other resident’s instances. All devices are up-to-date, and not on any kind of beta that should cause any malfunction especially of this size. At this point I am faced with two options:

1: Wait until hopefully something is patched either with the Apple Home service, or with the software for all of the malfunctioning devices, and in the meantime have no access whatsoever to my Home.

2: Try to disconnect all accessories and devices from that home, in the hopes of recreating it, with no guarantee that it’s entirely possible, on the account of the fact that all residents with any access to the Home, are without the privileges and access required in order to do so. I also have no way of granting them those privileges, because I still have no access to the home, the list of residents, anything. All I have is a completely empty Home app, with empty rooms that match those of the old Home.

I really am unsure of what to do at this point. If anyone else has been experiencing problems like this, or has some advice that might be able to help in some way, please reach out. In any case, thanks for reading this entire post, and at least trying.

Posted on Jul 11, 2024 12:25 PM

2 replies

Jul 17, 2024 12:59 AM in response to SniperJo12

Part of your post got cut off midway through trying to read it. So, if this is just happening on one or two devices it’s possible you might have recently upgraded the home architecture via the home app on one device and this would make devices not running the latest software unable to see Home or invite others, etc. By “latest software” I mean the latest on a model that can support the latest software Apple offers. At least iOS 16.2, iPadOS 16.2 or on a Mac- MacOS Ventura. As an example an iPad Air 2 would not support Home or HomeKit once you’ve Upgraded to the new Home architecture

Any device that is connected to an upgraded home and not running the latest software will lose access to the home until the device is updated. This includes people that you invite to control your home.

Which device is not working in the Home App and what software is it using?

In any case please ensure all devices are using the same Apple ID/ iCloud account. Or if you recently reset your password make sure you updated each devices login credentials. And that in the settings on your device in Your Name> iCloud > Home is enabled.

Jul 21, 2024 3:04 PM in response to Vancouver22

The devices that were having trouble, were all devices properly registered and connected to my. personal iCloud account/Apple ID, all running the most recent software and to list a few, there was an iPhone 15 Pro, an M1 MacBook Pro, etc etc. All different models and years of release. The only connection they had to each other, was the fact that they were connected to my Apple ID (and still are). Everyone else's devices on their Apple IDs were working fine, also most recent software, and a mix of newer and older devices.

I'm not sure what you mean by cut-off. I finished the post. It want cut-off.

Apple Home Severe Malfunction

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.