Finding old Icloud Backups

I was in the Apple store the other day with a very serious concern.

I had an old backup which stored on my iCloud which had hundreds of precious photos; unfortunately there was a software glitch which deleted the photos from my current phone but were all kept safe on the other backup backup - in the event, another backup was made of my current phone (without such photos).

The Apple store Glasgow said no help was needed to move my backup onto my new phone, this was repeatedly assured.

However, fast forward a couple months later and it seems both backups have merged, meaning ALL of my photos on the old backup were deleted.

I was told on multiple occasions that this would never happen. When I called Apple they said “it was a very curious and interesting happening” and sometimes they reserve the right to wipe files without telling the user for storage reasons - to this day I haven’t been able to find the old backup (as it’s not on any drive, or on any file).

iPhone 5c

Posted on Jul 11, 2024 12:08 PM

5 replies

Jul 11, 2024 12:15 PM in response to muguy

I was told that while backups only last 180 days it’s only when there isn’t enough storage or if it hasn’t been signed into after that 180 days - I should preface though that this was on an older and separate device.

1. Why does Apple see the need to reserve the right to wipe devices from iCloud without telling us first?
  2. Why, at the earliest opportunity, do they not take seriously their change in policy which has serious implications to their customers?

Jul 11, 2024 12:51 PM in response to eoghan98

Correct. If you do not backup the device again, the old one is erased after 180 days ideally, you’re backing up your device every day when you charge overnight. This is part of the terms of service. If you wish to maintain backups for longer you need to backup to your computer. And, your most import Data should be backed up multiple ways; 3 copies made 2 different ways with 1 kept offsite is a good standard.

Jul 11, 2024 1:03 PM in response to muguy

I get that but I took some level of precaution not based on what Apple had said.

At no point, on the multiple occasions I went directly to Apple, that they had walked me through making a backup that was secure - I didn’t have the confidence to do that myself and so I asked how. it’s the fact that at no point they made any mention of this and repeatedly assured that their systems are so robust that nothing will ever be deleted so long as you leave it put.

It’s the fact that when this happened they shrugged, said it wasn’t there issue and thought it was a very interesting issue.

Finding old Icloud Backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.