How to report an unauthorized transaction on Apple Pay?

I had transactions on my card that I had not done. How is it possible? I thought that Apple Pay was secure and could not be hacked. My bank said that this was an Apple Pay problem. What should I do?

I need help raising the complaint to apple.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XS Max, iOS 17

Posted on Jul 11, 2024 11:39 AM

10 replies

Jul 11, 2024 12:19 PM in response to maissoun96

Jeff Donald is absolutely correct. Your ApplePay has not been hacked. You are going to find that either:

• Your card has been compromised
  • The charges were made by someone you have given your Password/Passcode too. The Organizer of a Family Plan will also see charges from other members in the group if Purchase Sharing is turned on.

What is the exact description of the charge and have you viewed your purchase history?

View your purchase history for the App Store and other Apple media services - Apple Support

Jul 11, 2024 8:34 PM in response to maissoun96

maissoun96 wrote:

The problem is that the bank claims that anyone can upload any card once they have the details of this card, which I doubt, but I need proof.

It is the bank that provides the verification of the card that is added. Apple provides the information of the account holder and the bank is the one that approves or denies the card to be added. Apple does not do this. It is the banks responsibility to prove the card that was added was actually you. See the information provided by Apple here:

The card issuer determines whether your card is eligible for Apple Pay, and may ask you for additional information to complete the verification process.

Set up Apple Pay in Wallet on iPhone - Apple Support

My card was in my purse and my Apple Pay wallet.

If you also used the physical card at a retail terminal, it was most likely skimmed there. Scammers install these devices to read the card number and use the description of the charge to make it appear to come from a well known company so you will not dispute it.

I want to prove to the bank that they are wrong but with evidence.

It is the banks responsibility to prove that the charges are legitimate. There are specific rules that a bank must follow when you dispute a charge. Instead of just inquiring about the transaction, you may have to specifically dispute the charge to initiate this process.

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/ask-cfpb/how-do-i-dispute-a-charge-on-my-credit-card-bill-en-61/

Jul 11, 2024 1:14 PM in response to maissoun96

There is nothing to hack in Apple Pay. Apple Pay does not store your credit card information anywhere. Even if were hacked, there's no way to access any card information.

Your device holds an encrypted package with a device account number that is sent to your bank when you use Apple Pay at a store or website, and they are the ones that can decrypt that package and link the device account number to your credit or debit card to process the charge.

If you have a charge on your card, it was not because Apple Pay was hacked.

Why do you assume it even had anything to do with Apple Pay?

If you see "apple.com/bill" on your statement, that has nothing to do with Apple Pay, that is a made through the iTunes platform on your card if it is added to your Apple ID. Charges like a app or service subscriptions or the purchase of a move or app from Apple's stores. Apple Pay is not involved in any way in those charges.

What exactly are you seeing that makes you think Apple Pay has anything to do with it?

Jul 11, 2024 1:20 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

No, my card was added to my Apple Pay as considered is safe.

And no I did not give my passcode or password to anyone.

The purchase took place while I was myself home, my phone on changing. The purchase was not through apple media. The merchant online.

I do not have family plan package.

The result I got that apple pay is not safe sorry to say that.

Jul 11, 2024 1:31 PM in response to maissoun96

Your card is safe and so is your personal information, if you only use Apple Pay. If you’ve ever physically swiped your card or inserted the card into a chip reader, you put your data at risk. Ever given the card to a server at a restaurant? If so, you put your data at risk.

Did you know that it would be easy to use compromised data and add financial and personal information to my iPhone and then use your credit information on my iPhone and complete transactions using Apple Pay and your bank approved all them.

Jul 11, 2024 2:21 PM in response to maissoun96

I could write a dozen paragraphs or more to explain your situation. But to help explain and make it easier for you to understand, here’s a link to a short YouTube video that explain how credit card information is compromised.

https://youtu.be/cJpdUNLRtOQ?si=X8DyLNITzX1_vEgx

Credit card and personal information is also compromised in data breaches at merchants, banks, hospitals and employers.

Compromised data is sold on the Dark Web daily by the tens and hundreds of thousands. A complete set of data (complete personal and financial information), what’s known by hackers as Fuzz, costs $2 to $3 an account.

Once the hacker has all the data, they add the information to an iPhone or Android and download the bank’s mobile app. Using the app, answering a couple of security questions, they bypass most of Apple’s security measures and add your bank card and the bank approves it.

It’s that easy.

Jul 11, 2024 3:07 PM in response to maissoun96

maissoun96 wrote:

No, my card was added to my Apple Pay as considered is safe.

It is safe. As Mentioned Apple pay does not hold your credit card information directly.

And no I did not give my passcode or password to anyone.

That's good.

The purchase took place while I was myself home, my phone on changing. The purchase was not through apple media. The merchant online.

Then what makes you think this happened through Apple Pay at all?

The result I got that apple pay is not safe sorry to say that.

And that is a false assessment. As mentioned there is no way anybody got your data from Apple Pay because its not there to be accessed. Apple Pay does not store your credit card information, and no one can use your iPhone's wallet remotely.

Whatever happened, if anyone used your card through Apple Pay, which I doubt, they had to add it directly to their iPhone. Apple Pay is very safe. Such that what you suggest happened, cannot happen in any conceivable way.

You are blaming Apple Pay for something that is impossible to have occurred.

Jul 11, 2024 7:03 PM in response to Phil0124

The bank has the results, not me because my card was in Apple Wallet.

I agree with you about the apple's security.

The problem is that the bank claims that anyone can upload any card once they have the details of this card, which I doubt, but I need proof.

My card was in my purse and my Apple Pay wallet.

I want to prove to the bank that they are wrong but with evidence.

How can Apple help me prove this?

How to report an unauthorized transaction on Apple Pay?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.