The Earth heated up when its day was 22 hours long

ampersandroo

Smack-Fu Master, in training
Subscriptor
The exciting minimum in tidal drag happens if the day and month are the same (i.e. you put the moon in geostationary orbit).

Tides are fixed in one place on the world, but a couple orders of magnitude larger. So at current day length that would be 90+ meters. Probably only doable shortly after the Thea impact, though, and I have no idea what day length or geostationary distance was then.

Upvote
9 (10 / -1)

jason8957

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Subscriptor
The exciting minimum in tidal drag happens if the day and month are the same (i.e. you put the moon in geostationary orbit).

Tides are fixed in one place on the world, but a couple orders of magnitude larger. So at current day length that would be 90+ meters. Probably only doable shortly after the Thea impact, though, and I have no idea what day length or geostationary distance was then.
I would think that the moon will be considerably farther away at that point, so perhaps tides will not be such high magnitude. At any rate, I think that the heating sun will have cooked off the oceans by then anyway.

Upvote
1 (3 / -2)

Nice post.

I sense that my current awareness and understanding of this topic needs to be increased!

Upvote
6 (6 / 0)

eduardopozo56

Wise, Aged Ars Veteran

So, can we hire spacex to drag the moon into Geostationary orbit?

Upvote
8 (8 / 0)
You’d have resonances at 33 and 44 hours as well.
Made a brief attempt to figure if the time scale of how long it would take for the moon to slow us down that much and if it was on a scale that the gradual increase in Sun's output ( and eventually size) would make it irrelevant
.. But in trying to determine the rate of decleration I found out the earth is actually accelerating

So ... I gave up

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    145.3 KB · Views: 40
Upvote
10 (10 / 0)

putney

Subscriptor
Upvote
22 (23 / -1)

anorlunda

Years ago, I saw an article about Thea impact theories. It said that Earth's day at that time was estimated at 5 hours. Tidal drag takes energy out of the rotation of both Earth and the Moon. It slows rotation and increases the radius of the Moon's orbit by about 36 cm per year.

Upvote
20 (20 / 0)
The present-day difference between minimal and peak daily pressures is about 110 Pascals. At a day length of 22 hours, it was 330 Pascals, a threefold increase.

The increase in average temperatures is on the order of 2 Kelvin. We're currently trying to avoid that sort of temperature rise due to the potential for widespread ecological disruptions. The addition of methane to mimic ozone leads to an increase of 4 Kelvin.

While I appreciate that this is being expressed in sensible units instead of stones per square cubit or something, you've done enough scientific writing to know better than to write units that way. "110 pascals" is a pressure. "110 Pascals" is a large French family reunion (or a crowd of cloned physicists). The editor should also be ashamed, except that I'm pretty sure editors are extinct in the wild.

5.3 Unit names
Unit names are normally printed in upright type and they are treated like ordinary nouns. In English, the names of units start with a lower-case letter (even when the symbol for the unit begins with a capital letter), except at the beginning of a sentence or in capitalized material such as a title. In keeping with this rule, the correct spelling of the name of the unit with the symbol °C is “degree Celsius” (the unit degree begins with a lower-case d and the modifier Celsius begins with an upper-case C because it is a proper name).
If you prefer American sources, https://www.nist.gov/pml/owm/writing-si-metric-system-units

Upvote
15 (22 / -7)

numerobis

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor
While I appreciate that this is being expressed in sensible units instead of stones per square cubit or something, you've done enough scientific writing to know better than to write units that way. "110 pascals" is a pressure. "110 Pascals" is a large French family reunion (or a crowd of cloned physicists). The editor should also be ashamed, except that I'm pretty sure editors are extinct in the wild.

If you prefer American sources, https://www.nist.gov/pml/owm/writing-si-metric-system-units
Whoever wrote that guideline was fucking with their boss by choosing Celsius as the unit to demonstrate how the rules make no fucking sense :)

Upvote
21 (24 / -3)

Xylith

Made a brief attempt to figure if the time scale of how long it would take for the moon to slow us down that much and if it was on a scale that the gradual increase in Sun's output ( and eventually size) would make it irrelevant
.. But in trying to determine the rate of decleration I found out the earth is actually accelerating

So ... I gave up
I’m confused. Isn’t the whole premise of this article that the earth’s rotation is slowing down? So why does this linked article say it’s rotating faster than ever?!

This whole topic is clearly beyond my understanding :-/

Upvote
4 (5 / -1)
Post content hidden for low score. Show…

tuffy

Ars Scholae Palatinae
I’m confused. Isn’t the whole premise of this article that the earth’s rotation is slowing down? So why does this linked article say it’s rotating faster than ever?!

Though the Earth's rotation is continuing to slow down very gradually in the long run, sudden catastrophic events like major earthquakes sometimes speed it up very slightly so it's not a continual change from faster to slower.

Upvote
22 (22 / 0)

anorlunda

You should have read that article better. Here's a quote from the article you linked. "In general, over long periods, Earth’s spin is slowing. Every century, Earth takes a couple of milliseconds or so longer to complete one rotation (where 1 millisecond equals 0.001 seconds).
Within this general pattern, however, the speed of Earth’s spin fluctuates. From one day to the next, the time Earth takes to complete one rotation goes up or down by a fraction of a millisecond."

Upvote
14 (14 / 0)

Xylith

Though the Earth's rotation is continuing to slow down very gradually in the long run, sudden catastrophic events like major earthquakes sometimes speed it up very slightly so it's not a continual change from faster to slower.
Ok got it. I thought it was only slowing due to the moon, but didn’t get it was actually fluctuating (with a long term slowing trend).

Makes sense. Thank you kind sir!

Upvote
10 (10 / 0)

Xylith

You should have read that article better. Here's a quote from the article you linked. "In general, over long periods, Earth’s spin is slowing. Every century, Earth takes a couple of milliseconds or so longer to complete one rotation (where 1 millisecond equals 0.001 seconds).
Within this general pattern, however, the speed of Earth’s spin fluctuates. From one day to the next, the time Earth takes to complete one rotation goes up or down by a fraction of a millisecond."
Yeah clearly I should! The guy above pointed it out, but I got it now. Thanks 👌

Upvote
6 (7 / -1)

Oldmanalex

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
This article does a good job of illustrating how much assumptions play a role in science (most of the models wouldn't even let them change certain variables). One of the biggest assumptions afflicting science is that the way things are now is that the way that they have always been -- the length of a day being just one example. Still textbooks and scientists continue to promote the idea that "the present is the key to the past." Reality suggests that the more we learn the more we realize that this assumption is false and those that promote it are being dishonest.
If you understood some science, you would not post stupid things. Models which are designed to look at one variable, or one set of initial conditions, may not be useful for things that they were not built for. If trying to predict water temperatures and coastal submersion on the East Coast over the next 20 years, to take a topic of current interest, we do not need continental drift, and probably not subsidence due to plate tectonics, although subsidence due to groundwater pumping would be included. Having a model tuned to Pangea would not be very useful in answering this question.

Upvote
28 (28 / 0)

In my limited understanding, this would no longer be a tide. Tide implies a daily variation, but in this model, the moon would be fixed above one place on Earth.

The result would be a fixed water level around 90m (if your height is correct) higher than the current average water level, located immediately below the moon, and possibly another +90m water elevation also on the other side of the Earth opposite the Moon. Decreasing to lower water level elsewhere, though probably not -90m, as there would be a band of lowered water level around the Earth.

I say fixed water level, but there would still be small cycles in water height from the Sun (daily) and other planets (mostly Jupiter I think).

Aside: This is one of the things that highly irritated me in the mostly excellent Cixin Liu book of short stories 'The Wandering Earth' (same author as the Three-Body Problem). In this short story, a highly dense alien spaceship arrives at Earth. Hovering above the sea, the density & mass of the spaceship causes a bulge in the water below, because the water is gravitationally attracted to the spaceship. The bulge is roughly 1km high. Our hero somehow pilots a boat up the bulge to immediately below the spaceship. Things happen. Afterwards, our hero swims down the bulge.

The part that irritates me is when Cixin says 'Swimming down the bulge was easier than going up because it was all downhill'.

NO! The surface of the sea bulge, by definition, is at equal gravitational potential at all parts. No part of it is 'uphill' or 'downhill' compared to any other part. If it was, then sea water would just flow to the new equilibrium.

Upvote
26 (26 / 0)

JohnDeL

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
Subscriptor

When the Theia impact (probably) happened, the day length was 18 hour and 41 minutes..

Geostationary distance would have been about 29,000 km above the equator.

The amount of mass that would have been in that orbit at any given time following the impact remains a matter of some debate in the community (read: the models disagree - a lot).

You’d have resonances at 33 and 44 hours as well.

As my brother likes to say when driving down a street with timed lights "If you'll hit green at 25 mph, you'll also hit it at 50 or 100!"

Upvote
5 (7 / -2)

ampersandroo

Subscriptor
Years ago, I saw an article about Thea impact theories. It said that Earth's day at that time was estimated at 5 hours. Tidal drag takes energy out of the rotation of both Earth and the Moon. It slows rotation and increases the radius of the Moon's orbit by about 36 cm per year.
A 5-hour orbit has a height of roughly 8500 km, so if the moon were geostationary with that day length it would be about 45x closer than it is now.

Tidal forces scale with R^2, and I think the size of the tidal bulge is linear with the forces, so they would be about 2,000x bigger than current tides. So about 2 km.

Holy cow.

[edit] The 18 hour/29,000 km number JohnDeL cited gives ratios that are a lot saner, but still, a 68m tidal bulge is nothing to sneeze at.

Upvote
3 (4 / -1)

JohnDeL

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
Subscriptor
Upvote
10 (10 / 0)

numerobis

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor
Surely that should be high school physics? That’s where I studied the relationship between volume, temperature and pressure of a gas.
It’s physical chemistry. I’ve only seen that covered in chemistry classes but different schools could quite reasonably do it differently.

Upvote
7 (7 / 0)

Errum

Ars Tribunus Militum
Subscriptor++

Thanks for the BIPM link, the contents of which are educational, if somewhat recondite. The Appendix offers an interesting history of developments in the standards field.

ETA: It occurs to me that the word ‘recondite’ is itself recondite.

Upvote
5 (5 / 0)

the cave troll

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Subscriptor++
Stupid liberals will try and tell you that man (*) is capable of ruining the climate just by emitting harmless carbon dioxide using our puny cars, but our alleged ability to influence the planet is absolutely dwarfed by that little thing in the sky we all call the Moon.

(*) Just to be clear, women, by contrast, are, and have always been, entirely capable of ruining civilization due to their inherent foibles, which is why they need to be kept under strict control.

Edit: Sorry, I know this is a horrible post, it's just that lately I have been so bitter that I have actually taken to drinking coffee in my troll cave... 🫤

Last edited:
Upvote
-16 (2 / -18)