SpaceX selected to launch NASA mission probing the creation of matter

trimeta

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor++
Any word on the mass of COSI? Given the equatorial orbit, I'm wondering if it could in theory have launched on Virgin Orbit's LauncherOne, were that rocket not discontinued.

As for the price, $69M (or really, $69.75M) is the current "standard payment plan" for a Falcon 9 launch. So NASA isn't getting a discount due to the low mass of the payload, but they're also not paying a premium for the unusual orbit or government overhead. (Or realistically, both of those do apply, they just cancel out.) Really, IXPE is the outlier, and seems to have been priced as it was mostly to compete with Pegasus XL, which is also no longer flying.

Upvote
84 (89 / -5)

@inemesitaffia

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Any word on the mass of COSI? Given the equatorial orbit, I'm wondering if it could in theory have launched on Virgin Orbit's LauncherOne, were that rocket not discontinued.

As for the price, $69M (or really, $69.75M) is the current "standard payment plan" for a Falcon 9 launch. So NASA isn't getting a discount due to the low mass of the payload, but they're also not paying a premium for the unusual orbit or government overhead. (Or realistically, both of those do apply, they just cancel out.) Really, IXPE is the outlier, and seems to have been priced as it was mostly to compete with Pegasus XL, which is also no longer flying.
It's in line with public numbers but it seems Globalstar got it for 64MM

Upvote
28 (28 / 0)

dmsilev

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor
Well, Falcon is the only launching-from-the-US rocket that is currently suitable. ESA has that nice equatorial launch site available...

(I don't think NASA would have considered a partnership arrangement for an Explorer-class mission the way they did with Webb; too small to make it worth while)

Last edited:
Upvote
63 (63 / 0)
This is about a 37 percent increase in the price NASA paid SpaceX in a 2019 contract for launch of the similarly sized IXPE X-ray telescope into a similar orbit as COSI. The higher price is at least partially explained by inflation.

Specifically, the 37% inflation in the launching-a-short-wavelength-telescope-into-a-low-equatorial-orbit market.

Upvote
94 (94 / 0)
Post content hidden for low score. Show…

Wickwick

Ars Legatus Legionis

I don't think the particular orbit has much bearing on price. In the end, the booster can only get so far downrange so that's where the barge parks. I doubt there's any dogleg acceleration until deep into the second stage burn. After that, it's a fully-loaded F9 launch, one way or another.

That NASA is getting a market-rate price suggests they're not asking for a lot of the extra inspections or paperwork they often do for higher cost payload classes.

Upvote
116 (116 / 0)

Wickwick

Ars Legatus Legionis
"The higher price is at least partially explained by inflation."

In can be argued that the higher price is completely explained by inflation, given that that's what inflation is. But as we today well know, inflation can be related broadly to economy-wide factors, or it can just be an individual service-provider saying "Yeah, you need to pay me a whole lot more" because they can. And since SpaceX has the only suitable rocket, I know which explanation my money's on.
A difference in costs between two launches can also relate to what's purchased. No word as to what processing premiums, if any, are being requested (documentation, air conditioned storage, security-cleared prep personnel, etc.).

Edit: It could also be explained by a change in competition in the market. Absent Pegasus or Virgin Orbit to launch it, SpaceX could charge more. This is one of the few times where air launch could make a substantial improvement to ground launch.

Upvote
65 (65 / 0)

Tridus

Ars Tribunus Militum
Subscriptor
Well, Falcon is the only launching-from-the-US rocket that is currently suitable. ESA has that nice equatorial launch site available...

(I don't think NASA would have considered a partnership arrangement for an Explorer-class mission they way they did with Webb; too small to make it worth while)
I think it would have to use a European rocket to do that, though, which would dramatically inflate the cost. Since F9 can do the job and they're not just price gouging on it, there's little point in doing a partnership that would just make it more expensive.

Upvote
53 (53 / 0)

Tom the Melaniephile

Ars Legatus Legionis
The Fine Article indicates "less than a ton" - one would presume not all that much less.

Upvote
71 (71 / 0)
For more info on antimatter(?!!) being emitted by the center of the galaxy, found this:

I'd never heard of this before. Any recommended sources to read up on it would be welcome, it's pretty cool.

Upvote
35 (36 / -1)

Tom the Melaniephile

Ars Legatus Legionis
I think it would have to use a European rocket to do that, though, which would dramatically inflate the cost. Since F9 can do the job and they're not just price gouging on it, there's little point in doing a partnership that would just make it more expensive.
Ariane 6 isn't yet an operational rocket, and I highly suspect will not have all that much of a flight record by 2027.

Upvote
56 (56 / 0)

trimeta

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor++
Edit: It could also be explained by a change in competition in the market. Absent Pegasus or Virgin Orbit to launch it, SpaceX could charge more. This is one of the few times where air launch could make a substantial improvement to ground launch.
I'm pretty sure this is the answer. IXPE needed to compete with the $40M Pegasus XL, and so SpaceX charged $50M. COSI had no competition, so SpaceX could charge their normal base price.

Upvote
44 (44 / 0)

trimeta

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor++
The Fine Article indicates "less than a ton" - one would presume not all that much less.
The details may matter -- for example, if it's low enough it's theoretically possible that ABL could put their mobile launchpad at Guiana Space Center and have the performance to reach the target orbit. Not that NASA would have contracted with them for such a service, when they've never had a successful orbital launch (and ABL hasn't actually announced plans to fly from Guiana), but it would be interesting for considering pricing.

Upvote
9 (16 / -7)

Cloudgazer

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
Jesus Christ. A gamma ray observatory in space and you people are taking about the rocket they’re going to launch it with 🙄 If somebody bought you pack of sad nerds a hot air balloon trip in Napa you’d be floating around up there ignoring the wine in your hand and the magical view while talking about the semi that dropped off the gondola
But it was an electric semi and we'd never seen one before

Upvote
144 (146 / -2)
Jesus Christ. A gamma ray observatory in space and you people are taking about the rocket they’re going to launch it with 🙄 If somebody bought you pack of sad nerds a hot air balloon trip in Napa you’d be floating around up there ignoring the wine in your hand and the magical view while talking about the semi that dropped off the gondola
Yes? Semis are way more interesting than wine. Plus, I expect more discussion on the observatory once it's deployed and started observing.

Upvote
118 (121 / -3)

Wickwick

Ars Legatus Legionis
Because TFA was about the launch selection and not a technical description of the telescope at all. In fact, the only remotely technical bit was that the detector is based on observatories that have flown on balloons.

Upvote
110 (112 / -2)

Malmesbury

Wise, Aged Ars Veteran
"The higher price is at least partially explained by inflation."

In can be argued that the higher price is completely explained by inflation, given that that's what inflation is. But as we today well know, inflation can be related broadly to economy-wide factors, or it can just be an individual service-provider saying "Yeah, you need to pay me a whole lot more" because they can. And since SpaceX has the only suitable rocket, I know which explanation my money's on.
A couple of online inflation calculators seem to agree on 22.4% cumulative inflation, in the US, since 2019

Upvote
41 (41 / 0)
Of course.

Wine can be had for almost penny's on the dollar (and available at 7-Eleven). A semi dropped from a gondola is much rarer and taking bets on (a) crater size and/or (b) RSD* parts spread area are much more fun.

* Rapid Scheduled Disassembly

Upvote
97 (100 / -3)

blackhawk887

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius

(I don't think NASA would have considered a partnership arrangement for an Explorer-class mission the way they did with Webb; too small to make it worth while)
There aren't any options there that would interest NASA. Ariane 6 wouldn't be cheaper, and Vega has been quite unreliable. Soyuz is no longer available.

Upvote
34 (34 / 0)

Dtiffster

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor
I'm pretty sure this is the answer. IXPE needed to compete with the $40M Pegasus XL, and so SpaceX charged $50M. COSI had no competition, so SpaceX could charge their normal base price.
That's a fairly negative slant to put on it. A more positive one would be that pegasus while still technically a going concern when the bid was put out for IXPE, was not commercially competitive in any meaningful way (IXPE was the very rare payload where it would actually make sense) and was suffering so many technical issues that it could take years to actually put payloads into orbit. SpaceX did not take a loss on the bid, but they certainly ate into a healthy margin to win the bid. And NASA was relieved as hell because it meant they didn't have to award a contract to a rocket they had no faith could fulfill it. Thus SpaceX did NASA a solid back then. Now that pegasus is kaput, they no longer have to underbid them. Are they charging them out the wazoo for this launch as a consequence? Nope, they are charging them their market rates. Seems absolutely reasonable to me.

Upvote
79 (81 / -2)

Zloster

Smack-Fu Master, in training
Yes? Semis are way more interesting than wine. Plus, I expect more discussion on the observatory once it's deployed and started observing.
Not to mention, if they are shipping fresh grapes there's one whole set of logistical requirements, while shipping finished wine comes with different set. So not only do we have the semi, there's a bunch of other important factors to discuss in loading said semi.

Upvote
33 (33 / 0)

Dtiffster

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor
I don't think the particular orbit has much bearing on price. In the end, the booster can only get so far downrange so that's where the barge parks. I doubt there's any dogleg acceleration until deep into the second stage burn. After that, it's a fully-loaded F9 launch, one way or another.

That NASA is getting a market-rate price suggests they're not asking for a lot of the extra inspections or paperwork they often do for higher cost payload classes.
The equator is so far down range (think of the coast that GEO missions have to do), that the second stage will have to go to orbit before it can do much of a dog leg. It might take a deg or 2 off of the inclination with some out of plane burning, but I'd expect it to have a 27ish deg orbit which means a 3.7 km/s plane change on crossing the equator. That's a c3 of about 14 km^2/s^2 equivalent (or pretty much the equivalent of sending this puppy to Mars), but even with ASDS landing F9 can do 1.7-1.8 tonnes to that orbit (well above the less than a tonne the article quotes). I would expect the droneship to be positioned downrange SE like a normal GTO mission. I'm sure there are some specials payload processing steps, but they are probably hiring someone else to do it since I'm sure it's pretty specialized.

Last edited:
Upvote
37 (37 / 0)

Nick Andros

Ars Centurion
Subscriptor++
It's not the first gamma ray observatory in space, in case anyone is wondering.

Upvote
54 (55 / -1)

Wickwick

Ars Legatus Legionis
The equator is so far down range (think of the coast that GEO missions have to do), that the second stage will have to go to orbit before it can do much of a dog leg. It might take a deg or 2 off of the inclination with some out of plane burning, but I'd expect it to have a 27ish deg orbit which means a 3.7 km/s plane change on crossing the equator. That's a c3 of about 14 km^2/s^2 equivalent (or pretty much the equivalent of sending this puppy to Mars), but even with ASDS landing F9 can do 1.7-1.8 tonnes to that orbit (well above the less than a tonne the article quotes). I would expect the booster to be positioned downrange SE like a normal GTO mission. I'm sure there are some specials payload processing steps, but they are probably hiring someone else to do it since I'm sure it's pretty specialized.
Yeah, I wasn't quite sure there the optimization would be and was too lazy to work it out. But I was pretty sure one didn't start to cancel any of the southward velocity component and/or add excess eastward until you're very close to where you want the corner to be. Obviously, one has to round the corner, but not by 20 degrees of latitude.

Edit: The coast phase for GTO missions is more about getting up to GEO altitude than getting to 0 latitude. The latter can be done in about 7 minutes.

Upvote
16 (16 / 0)

Chuckstar

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
Under $300 million sounds downright affordable for a specialty space observatory. I guess because it’s “just” attaching existing tech to a satellite instead of balloon?

I obviously wish JWST hadn’t been quite so expensive (understatement) but a mix of occasional big-budget observatories with smaller-budget, more specialty ones in between strikes me as a good approach to getting a good mix of science done.

Upvote
39 (39 / 0)

Dtiffster

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor
Yeah, I wasn't quite sure there the optimization would be and was too lazy to work it out. But I was pretty sure one didn't start to cancel any of the southward velocity component and/or add excess eastward until you're very close to where you want the corner to be. Obviously, one has to round the corner, but not by 20 degrees of latitude.

Edit: The coast phase for GTO missions is more about getting up to GEO altitude than getting to 0 latitude. The latter can be done in about 7 minutes.
They don't do much of a plane change in GTO missions, but they do coast to the equator. Then need to because if the new apogee is going to be at the equator, they need the apogee raise burn to start there. Anyway I was only using the GTO mission to illustrate far down range the equator was even at 7.8 km/s, and thus how impossible it is to launch from 28 deg N and get in much of a dogleg before entering orbit.

Upvote
13 (14 / -1)

Wickwick

Ars Legatus Legionis
Cant wait until we have some competition. Spacex prices have only ever moved in 1 direction, and thats up.
As per this article, the base price of a launch in 2017 was $65M while it is apparently now $69M.

And please tell me you're not so much of an idiot or so disingenuous as to argue that that's a price increase. A 2017 dollar is worth $1.28 today thanks to inflation. So the cost of a base launch in 2017 would have been $83.2M in 2024 dollars. So, in fact, it appears that launch prices have fallen by 17% from 2017 to 2024 while the delay for launch has gone to essentially zero.

Last edited:
Upvote
134 (136 / -2)

Wickwick

Ars Legatus Legionis
They don't do much of a plane change in GTO missions, but they do coast to the equator. Then need to because if the new apogee is going to be at the equator, they need the apogee raise burn to start there. Anyway I was only using the GTO mission to illustrate far down range the equator was even at 7.8 km/s, and thus how impossible it is to launch from 28 deg N and get in much of a dogleg before entering orbit.
I think we're arguing at cross purposes. Because the orbit one achieves prior to the coast phase of a GTO mission is highly elliptical, the coast phase doesn't change latitude very fast vs. the miles traveled or the impulse exerted. It's cheapest to execute a plane change at low speed so one can do a small amount during boost or you wait until you're way up high.

But yeah, in the 28 deg. from Canaveral to the equator plus a bit of eastward velocity, I suspect SpaceX has achieved most of its perigee raise prior to reaching the equator if not most of its apogee raise as well.

One wonders if the optimal burn doesn't intentionally throttle down just to reduce the speed prior to reaching the equator since that's less velocity change needed.

Upvote
12 (13 / -1)

Chuckstar

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
I think we're arguing at cross purposes. Because the orbit one achieves prior to the coast phase of a GTO mission is highly elliptical, the coast phase doesn't change latitude very fast vs. the miles traveled or the impulse exerted. It's cheapest to execute a plane change at low speed so one can do a small amount during boost or you wait until you're way up high.

But yeah, in the 28 deg. from Canaveral to the equator plus a bit of eastward velocity, I suspect SpaceX has achieved most of its perigee raise prior to reaching the equator if not most of its apogee raise as well.

One wonders if the optimal burn doesn't intentionally throttle down just to reduce the speed prior to reaching the equator since that's less velocity change needed.
Would the math be simpler to just launch straight south and then 90° turn at the equator?

;)

Upvote
22 (22 / 0)
Ars really needs threaded comments. The discussions (generally speaking) have their own interesting tangents but some of them really drown out the others in this flat structure.

Upvote
-6 (25 / -31)