High-altitude cave used by Tibetan Buddhists yields a Denisovan fossil

Fatesrider

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
Intriguingly, the bone came from a layer within the cave where environmental DNA hadn't indicated the Densivans were present. Whether this is a matter of the Denisovans having become less frequent visitors or a matter of the preservation of environmental DNA isn't clear. But it does indicate the Denisovans were present on the Tibetan Plateau as recently as 30,000 years ago.
Or it indicates that someone or something disturbed the layers in the cave 30,000 years ago and jumbled the layers.

I expect it would depend on how thick the layers are, vs how deeply it was found in the layers and a host of other things. But just finding DNA from a lower level on an upper level doesn't mean it was laid there naturally. Earthquakes in the region could have done the unsettling all by themselves.

Just a thought. Considering how few Denisovian remains have been identified, you'd think there'd be a lot more in places where they lived. And if they survived for hundreds of thousands (or millions) of years to be dying out at the same time Neanderthal did, you'd think we'd have found a lot more of those remains.

Upvote
-17 (12 / -29)

pfstevenson32

Wise, Aged Ars Veteran
Subscriptor
Oddly, it came to the attention of the paleontology community because the cave was a pilgrimage site for Tibetan monks,

The article image shows 2 caves, one of which has been modified in the manner typical of monks on retreat. I imagine the one with the built up entrance is the one the monks were making a pilgrimage to. It looks rather homey from the outside. There is a funny story about a monk named Pabongka Rinpoche. He had an attendant. a faithful devotee, who built up the entrance to his retreat cave into something quite extraordinary. Pabongka Rinpoche was a bit peeved at him as the he was supposed to be on retreat, eschewing the good things of life.

Upvote
40 (40 / 0)

Chuckstar

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
Or it indicates that someone or something disturbed the layers in the cave 30,000 years ago and jumbled the layers.

I expect it would depend on how thick the layers are, vs how deeply it was found in the layers and a host of other things. But just finding DNA from a lower level on an upper level doesn't mean it was laid there naturally. Earthquakes in the region could have done the unsettling all by themselves.

Just a thought. Considering how few Denisovian remains have been identified, you'd think there'd be a lot more in places where they lived. And if they survived for hundreds of thousands (or millions) of years to be dying out at the same time Neanderthal did, you'd think we'd have found a lot more of those remains.
You can usually see when the stratigraphy has been disturbed. You really can’t just jumble the layers and end up with them still looking like individual layers.

Upvote
87 (87 / 0)

If they practiced Sky Burials, then there might not be much left and we're lucky to have found anything.

Upvote
56 (56 / 0)
Post content hidden for low score. Show…
"with an increasing number of sheep in the more recent layers, suggesting that the Denisovans there were becoming more specialized hunters."

A good way to ensure there are plenty of herd animals, is to protect the herd from predators. That is the path to domestication.
That was my thought. An early attempt at animal husbandry.

Upvote
15 (16 / -1)
Were the Denisovans a happy and outgoing people, or were they all dour and buttoned up? I don't like this remote cave thing.
Critters like wolves and other mega fauna tend to lead to a desire for protection among human groups when you're trying to stay alive in a wilderness.

Upvote
15 (15 / 0)

EarendilStar

Smack-Fu Master, in training
Elevation, not altitude. Sorry, pet peeve!
Not sure why you’re getting downvoted. You’re right. While pedantic in a social circle, when replying to a scientific article where the difference is important, I think it’s fine to point out (and let others learn from).

Maybe the downvoters don’t like learning?

Upvote
-4 (35 / -39)

numerobis

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor
Not sure why you’re getting downvoted. You’re right. While pedantic in a social circle, when replying to a scientific article where the difference is important, I think it’s fine to point out (and let others learn from).

This is not a geography paper, so we can use the word everyone but geographers use.

Upvote
26 (40 / -14)
This is not a geography paper, so we can use the word everyone but geographers use.
Does everyone though? It would never occur to me to use a phrase like, the “altitude above sea level” when talking about land. I also don’t recall seeing the altitude listed on city limits signs in Colorado. Elevation on the other hand . . .

Upvote
9 (26 / -17)

numerobis

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor
Does everyone though? It would never occur to me to use a phrase like, the “altitude above sea level” when talking about land. I also don’t recall seeing the altitude listed on city limits signs in Colorado. Elevation on the other hand . . .
Well no, you’d just say altitude. Above sea level is understood.

At high altitude you’d start worrying about altitude sickness and, if it got bad, you might suffer high altitude pulmonary edema or high altitude cerebral edema.

To avoid this, commercial aircraft keep the cabin pressure to the equivalent of 8,000’ altitude. To avoid crashing into the ground or other aircraft, pilots set the reference pressure on the altimeter so as to have a well calibrated read on their altitude. The scale height of a planet describes how pressure varies by altitude.

Biologists have identified genes in Sherpas and some Andean peoples that help adapt to life at high altitude. This article describes long-term habitation at high altitudes through colder periods in this particular cave, and there’s some evidence those high-altitude adaptations might have a denisovan origin.

Road signs are made by geographers who insist that the altitude of a surface must only be called “elevation”. I don’t see what that gains anyone but if y’all geographers want to define terms that way then knock yourselves out. Just leave the rest of us alone.

Question: if you walk from an elevation of 2,000’ onto an elevator above a mine shaft, are you now at 2,000’ altitude and very definitely not at an elevation?

Upvote
55 (62 / -7)

I'm not sure either. Although, we live in interesting times.

Upvote
-13 (7 / -20)

numerobis

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor
altitude-versus-elevation.jpg

Image Source: GeographyRealm.com

Elevation is the measurement of the height of a geographical feature that is above mean sea level. Peak, cave, tree line..

Altitude is the vertical measurement of the distance of an object above the surface of the Earth. Bird, airplane, the ISS...
That’s great, you can use two different words for exactly the same concept depending on whether the subject is a geographical feature or not. Knock yourself out.

Why this matters is completely beyond me. Why you think the geographical definition is the only possible one, equally beyond me.

Upvote
38 (55 / -17)

Crying Croc

Wise, Aged Ars Veteran
That’s great, you can use two different words for exactly the same concept depending on whether the subject is a geographical feature or not. Knock yourself out.

Why this matters is completely beyond me. Why you think the geographical definition is the only possible one, equally beyond me.
Heck, why do we also use two different words for exactly the same concept depending on whether we're describing an object or an act? He is a good kid and he did well. Could have said he is a well kid and he did good - and you would still understand my praises for the kid! We can go on and on about the 'convolution' aka English grammar. Nevertheless, people generally expect proper grammar and vocabulary, especially in articles/publications - versus casual verbal exchanges.

Last edited:
Upvote
-16 (14 / -30)

It is bit weird when they are using the same reference level of mean sea level. Having two different names that end up with the same results as they use the same reference level seems more of a parallel usage and should be interchangeable if they are getting the exact same results. It's a bit like how fish have different local names, but they are still the same fish in either location. I understand that the technical answer, is technically the best answer, but not when they are the same answer.

'Elevation is a term used in geography and cartography to describe the height of a specific point on Earth’s surface in relation to a reference point, usually mean sea level. Elevation is commonly expressed in meters (m) or feet (ft) and is an essential element in understanding the topography and landscape of a region.

Mean sea level is the average height of the ocean’s surface, as measured by the midpoint between high and low tides. By comparing the height of a point on land to the mean sea level, we can determine its elevation.

Altitude is a term used in geography, aviation, and space sciences to describe the vertical distance or height of an object or point above a specific reference level. While the terms elevation and altitude are sometimes used interchangeably, they have distinct meanings in certain contexts.

In the context of geography, altitude refers to the height of a point or object above a reference level, usually the Earth’s surface or mean sea level. It is commonly expressed in meters (m) or feet (ft). Altitude data helps in understanding the topography, climate, and ecology of a region.'

https://mapscaping.com/what-is-the-difference-between-elevation-relief-and-altitude/

Upvote
42 (42 / 0)

llanitedave

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
It is bit weird when they are using the same reference level of mean sea level. Having two different names that end up with the same results as they use the same reference level seems more of a parallel usage and should be interchangeable if they are getting the exact same results. It's a bit like how fish have different local names, but they are still the same fish in either location. I understand that the technical answer, is technically the best answer, but not when they are the same answer.

'Elevation is a term used in geography and cartography to describe the height of a specific point on Earth’s surface in relation to a reference point, usually mean sea level. Elevation is commonly expressed in meters (m) or feet (ft) and is an essential element in understanding the topography and landscape of a region.

Mean sea level is the average height of the ocean’s surface, as measured by the midpoint between high and low tides. By comparing the height of a point on land to the mean sea level, we can determine its elevation.

Altitude is a term used in geography, aviation, and space sciences to describe the vertical distance or height of an object or point above a specific reference level. While the terms elevation and altitude are sometimes used interchangeably, they have distinct meanings in certain contexts.

In the context of geography, altitude refers to the height of a point or object above a reference level, usually the Earth’s surface or mean sea level. It is commonly expressed in meters (m) or feet (ft). Altitude data helps in understanding the topography, climate, and ecology of a region.'

https://mapscaping.com/what-is-the-difference-between-elevation-relief-and-altitude/
I don't know why people keep elevating the altitude argument. Denisovans didn't use either word.

Upvote
34 (37 / -3)

llanitedave

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius

There may be a lot more. See Homo longi. The difficulty is that we have a lack of DNA to go along with most of the fossils we've found, and where we do have DNA, it's not from a bone that can be definitively matched with the existing fossils.

Upvote
13 (13 / 0)
HACE ‑ High Altitude Cerebral Oedema
HAPE ‑ High Altitude Pulmonary Oedema

It's not just pilots who use "altitude", it's pretty common in most other fields.

Upvote
25 (26 / -1)

edrowland

Ars Scholae Palatinae

Elevation is the measurement of the height of a geographical feature that is above mean sea level. Peak, cave, tree line..

Altitude is the vertical measurement of the distance of an object above the surface of the Earth. Bird, airplane, the ISS...

The most high-altitude point on Earth is Mount Everest, in the Himalayan mountain range on the border of Nepal and the Chinese region of Tibet. [1]

- National Geographic.

Even geographers don't agree with you.

[1] https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/altitude/

Last edited:
Upvote
20 (21 / -1)