Elon Musk denies tweets misled Twitter investors ahead of purchase

jdale

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
The idea that Musk "engaged in intentional securities fraud in order to save $200 million is illogical in light of Musk’s eventual $44 billion purchase of Twitter," Musk's court filing said. "It defies logic that Musk would commit fraud to save less than 0.5 percent of Twitter’s total purchase price, and 0.1 percent of his net worth, all while knowing that there would be 'an inevitable day of reckoning' when he would disclose the truth—which was always his intent."
"I'm so rich that stealing $200 million of your money is basically the same as finding some change under someone else's couch cushions, so I should not suffer any consequences for it."

The $44 billion thing is especially ridiculous given how hard he fought to not buy it. Obviously the comparison is completely meaningless if he had no actual intent to spend the $44 billion.

Upvote
297 (300 / -3)

TimeWinder

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Subscriptor
Musk doesn't get the benefit of the doubt given the severity and quantity of his other faults with regards to the SEC.

He did this intentionally and hoped it would get missed. No amount of "this was an honest mistake" will cover it.
And yet, the odds are overwhelmingly in favor of him getting away with it. Musk is immune to consequences of his actions.

Upvote
130 (137 / -7)

randomcat

Ars Tribunus Militum
Musk responded to a Twitter user joking that he should buy the platform and replace the bird logo with a Dogecoin logo by tweeting, "Haha that would be sickkk."

Is this verbatim? Did he really spell sick with three k's in a row, wink wink?

This guy is too fucking much. If this were a movie his character would be dismissed as flat and unbelievable, just too on-the-nose. Nobody would really act like that, right?

Upvote
170 (177 / -7)

Maestro4k

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Subscriptor++
Musk doesn't get the benefit of the doubt given the severity and quantity of his other faults with regards to the SEC.

He did this intentionally and hoped it would get missed. No amount of "this was an honest mistake" will cover it.
Yeah, but so far he's yet to be punished appropriately for any of those other faults. Is the whole agreement at Tesla for a lawyer to review his tweets even being enforced?

I'm at the point that I doubt Musk will ever be properly punished for all the laws and regulations he's broken.

Upvote
87 (90 / -3)

fenris_uy

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
According to Musk, evidence showed that he simply misunderstood the Securities Exchange Act when he delayed filing a Rule 13 disclosure of his nearly 10 percent ownership stake in Twitter in March 2022. Musk argued that he believed he was required to disclose this stake at the end of the year, rather than within 10 days after the month in which he amassed a 5 percent stake. He said that previously he'd only filed Rule 13 disclosures as the owner of a company—not as someone suddenly acquiring 5 percent stake.

Does he intend people to believe that he bought over 10% of Twitter on his own without the assistance of anybody familiar with trading law? Without the help of any trader that probably told him that he needed to file the disclosure with the SEC within the next 10 days?

Upvote
204 (206 / -2)

DarthSlack

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
"I'm so rich that stealing $200 million of your money is basically the same as finding some change under someone else's couch cushions, so I should not suffer any consequences for it."

The $44 billion thing is especially ridiculous given how hard he fought to not buy it. Obviously the comparison is completely meaningless if he had no actual intent to spend the $44 billion.

Is Musk effectively claiming that he's too rich for the law to apply to him?

Upvote
138 (141 / -3)

fenris_uy

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
Yeah, but so far he's yet to be punished appropriately for any of those other faults. Is the whole agreement at Tesla for a lawyer to review his tweets even being enforced?

I'm at the point that I doubt Musk will ever be properly punished for all the laws and regulations he's broken.
The Tesla lawyer only needs to look at his tweets that are material to Tesla. Him buying Twitter isn't material to Tesla.

Upvote
33 (35 / -2)
Man who plays fast and loose with the truth says “trust me, it was an accident “.
Yeah, the old saw "Ignorance of the law is no excuse." Instead of suing lawyers maybe he should have consulted one familiar with the law. "Oh, and after I pulled this stunt ERRR realized my error, I conveniently ERRR I properly filed the papers."
His lawyers keep on claiming to use 'logic' when dismissing the charges in the suit with a client who has a reputation of illogical-some would say delusional-behavior.
And, in past suits, he's openly claimed nobody should believe him.
This guy is a lawyers wet dream. cha ching,cha ching, cha ching!

Upvote
56 (57 / -1)

getback

Seniorius Lurkius
Subscriptor

Also remember he didn't pay $44 billion out of pocket (or couch cushions) - he had to take out several multi-billion dollar loans. So saving $200 million dollars is definitely relevant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acquisition_of_Twitter_by_Elon_Musk#Takeover_bid

On April 20, Musk disclosed that he had secured financing provided by a group of banks led by Morgan Stanley, Bank of America, Barclays, MUFG, Société Générale, Mizuho Bank, and BNP Paribas, for a potential tender offer to acquire the company. The funding included $7 billion of senior secured bank loans; $6 billion in subordinated debt; $6.25 billion in bank loans to Musk personally, secured by $62.5 billion of his Tesla stock; $20 billion in cash equity from Musk, to be provided by sales of Tesla stock and other assets; and $7.1 billion in equity from 19 independent investors

Upvote
97 (97 / 0)

Yeah, we're supposed to believe that 200 Million dollars isn't worth that much to him. The rich don't get rich nor stay rich by throwing away millions. They're all schemers and covet every dime they can get or hold on to.

Upvote
113 (116 / -3)

Fatesrider

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
According to Musk, evidence showed that he simply misunderstood the Securities Exchange Act when he delayed filing a Rule 13 disclosure of his nearly 10 percent ownership stake in Twitter in March 2022. Musk argued that he believed he was required to disclose this stake at the end of the year, rather than within 10 days after the month in which he amassed a 5 percent stake. He said that previously he'd only filed Rule 13 disclosures as the owner of a company—not as someone suddenly acquiring 5 percent stake.
The only way I can read that is that he's criminally incompetent.

He seems to grasp the issue like a child. And then says, "Oops, I'm playing in a grown up game but I don't know the rules. But I'm stupid, so I shouldn't be held accountable for my own stupidity."

I mean, which is it, Musk? Were you trying to get away with busting the price of Twitter down so you didn't have to sell so much of your financial soul to people who murder the people they don't like inside their embassies in foreign countries, or are you just that fucking incompetent that you didn't bother learning the rules long before you started playing that game?

Personally, I lean toward both.

Upvote
82 (84 / -2)

He seems to grasp the issue like a child. And then says, "Oops, I'm playing in a grown up game but I don't know the rules. But I'm stupid, so I shouldn't be held accountable for my own stupidity."

I mean, which is it, Musk? Were you trying to get away with busting the price of Twitter down so you didn't have to sell so much of your financial soul to people who murder the people they don't like inside their embassies in foreign countries, or are you just that fucking incompetent that you didn't bother learning the rules long before you started playing that game?

Yeah, how lucky are we that Musk and his mentor Trump are evil and stupid.

Upvote
45 (49 / -4)
Yeah, we're supposed to believe that 200 Million dollars isn't worth that much to him. The rich don't get rich nor stay rich by throwing away millions. They're all schemers and covet every dime they can get or hold on to.
Just a small reminder of how bloody bonkers the wealth of the über‑rich is:

The historical UK loan to compensate slave‑owners in 1837 for abolishing slavery was reportedly only paid off by taxpayers in fecking 2015. By the UK taxpayers. Plenty of whom were actual descendants of former slaves (if they had the luck of gaining residency in the first place, that is). Almost all of the super‑rich are linked to slavery and exploitation one way or the other.

The whole system is fecking bonkers. Eat the rich.

Upvote
71 (80 / -9)
Except when he's poaching Telsa staff to fix the consequences of him firing everyone at Twitter.
See, this just proves that he isn't malicious. He didn't think far enough ahead to keep the important people at Twitter, how can you expect him to plan out a scam with investments, case should clearly be dropped...

/s

Upvote
22 (23 / -1)

Check his testimony under cross in the recent Delaware court case
He’s definitely the teenager who thinks he’s smarter than the teacher and then when confronted with his own statements and the reality that he isn’t gets obstinate and sullen when he’s expected to explain himself

Upvote
76 (77 / -1)
Twitter was the moment where Musk went from terrible person to totally jumping the shark into outright derangement.
OR, it may well be he's been deranged all along and his purchase and subsequent trolling there was his debut to the part of the world who was not fully aware of who and what he was. I will agree that he certainly went full TILT! after he announced his plan and then the "OOOPS! No I didn't!" clown car act.

Upvote
34 (35 / -1)

randomcat

Ars Tribunus Militum
He admits he broke the law, but supposedly it's ok because he didn't know about the law. And gawrsh, he stopped breaking it pretty soon after he found out!

It's extra ridiculous because it is quite literally his job to know about that law. He is paid specifically to know how these things work, and he openly admits that he simply doesn't, and doesn't care to learn. And nothing happens to him.

When does his cheat code wear off and things start actually affecting this jerk like they're supposed to?

Last edited:
Upvote
53 (55 / -2)
Yeah, the old saw "Ignorance of the law is no excuse." Instead of suing lawyers maybe he should have consulted one familiar with the law. "Oh, and after I pulled this stunt ERRR realized my error, I conveniently ERRR I properly filed the papers."
His lawyers keep on claiming to use 'logic' when dismissing the charges in the suit with a client who has a reputation of illogical-some would say delusional-behavior.
And, in past suits, he's openly claimed nobody should believe him.
This guy is a lawyers wet dream. cha ching,cha ching, cha ching!

Only if Musk pays you for your service.

Any lawyer thinking Musk is easy money has not done any research on Musk' past.

Now if you are talking about lawyer not working for Musk then they will get paid unless it is somehow reliant Musk paying them and then it is a maybe.

Upvote
20 (21 / -1)
Musk argued that he believed he was required to disclose this stake at the end of the year, rather than within 10 days after the month in which he amassed a 5 percent stake.

Sure. This makes sense. When you get pulled over for speeding, you can just tell the officer that you believed you didn't have to follow the posted speed limit. And, as soon as your misunderstanding was corrected (the traffic stop), you started obeying the law.

Because that defense holds up. Right?

Upvote
56 (57 / -1)
Also remember he didn't pay $44 billion out of pocket (or couch cushions) - he had to take out several multi-billion dollar loans. So saving $200 million dollars is definitely relevant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acquisition_of_Twitter_by_Elon_Musk#Takeover_bid

On April 20, Musk disclosed that he had secured financing provided by a group of banks led by Morgan Stanley, Bank of America, Barclays, MUFG, Société Générale, Mizuho Bank, and BNP Paribas, for a potential tender offer to acquire the company. The funding included $7 billion of senior secured bank loans; $6 billion in subordinated debt; $6.25 billion in bank loans to Musk personally, secured by $62.5 billion of his Tesla stock; $20 billion in cash equity from Musk, to be provided by sales of Tesla stock and other assets; and $7.1 billion in equity from 19 independent investors

After reading this, the amount money being talked about makes my head spin.

No individual should be able play around with this money.

Upvote
40 (42 / -2)