Call the ant doctor: Amputation gives injured ants a leg up on infections

Upvote
2 (2 / 0)

llanitedave

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
This article is fascinating. It raises two hard questions in my mind: What kind of cognition do ants have that allows such behavior? And how did this behavior develop?
Ant cognition is a weird thing: they'll mindlessly follow chemical trails until they die of exhaustion, yet I've seen ants carrying difficult and awkward sized loads who, coming upon an obstacle, will set the load down, reconnoiter until they find an alternative path, return to their load, pick it up, and take the new route.

I love watching ants at work. It's so much more fun than having to work myself.

Upvote
39 (39 / 0)

Chuckstar

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
Ant cognition is a weird thing: they'll mindlessly follow chemical trails until they die of exhaustion, yet I've seen ants carrying difficult and awkward sized loads who, coming upon an obstacle, will set the load down, reconnoiter until they find an alternative path, return to their load, pick it up, and take the new route.

I love watching ants at work. It's so much more fun than having to work myself.
Insects really do show how some tasks we think of as complex must be do-able with a relatively small number of neurons. Although maybe that says more about our intuition regarding how complex a task is, than about how neural systems work. 🤷

Upvote
21 (21 / 0)

linuxophile

Ars Praetorian
Subscriptor
This article is fascinating. It raises two hard questions in my mind: What kind of cognition do ants have that allows such behavior? And how did this behavior develop?
Exactly! And, in the amputation (sorry, antputation) video there is clearly an interested spectator, some sort of nurse.
Truly fascinating and amazing

Upvote
7 (7 / 0)
Agony ants, indeed.

I wonder if they also assist uninsured ants.

Is this international? Do Antipodean ants also act accordingly?

Exactly! And, in the amputation (sorry, antputation) video there is clearly an interested spectator, some sort of nurse.
Truly fascinating and amazing
Antpulance chaser.

Upvote
6 (6 / 0)
I suspect that, after that first phase of treatment, the ant will advance to the second phase and sever the afflicted tissue.
If we are talking DeathSantis, I am pretty sure even the ant surgeons would be cognisant enough to not ever touch any of his tissues, be it his brain or his arse (pretty much interchangeable at this point, anyways).

Even if just ants, they are not that stupid, after all...

Upvote
4 (6 / -2)
I suspect that, after that first phase of treatment, the ant will advance to the second phase and sever the afflicted tissue.
So, the head?

On a more serious note, amazing article. I've been fascinated by ants since I was a kid, but even today, science just keeps finding more reasons to validate my interest.

Upvote
2 (2 / 0)

brokkr

Smack-Fu Master, in training
Subscriptor
this is literally the only case in which a sophisticated and systematic amputation of an individual by another member of its species occurs in the animal kingdom

I know nothing about behavioral ecology but I strongly suspect that Erik Frank should have added the words "documented" and "that I know of" and dropped the word "literally" if he cares about his words standing the test of time.

Upvote
1 (1 / 0)