Authorities investigating death possibly linked to toxic microdosing candies

Post content hidden for low score. Show…

Edgar Allan Esquire

Ars Tribunus Militum
Subscriptor
I think the common perception is that it wouldn't be on the shelf if it wasn't safe. However, since most federal agencies set up to protect have been completely neutered, so this is no longer the case.
If I saw it on the shelf of a prominent grocery store, I'd probably have some belief in it's relative safety. Head shops always struck me as inherently sketchy, doubly so since an enthusiast friend had some bad run ins with synthetics. Vape shops sounded like a 2.0 version with dubious in house juice mixes and resulting issues. I suppose with easing drug restrictions and dispensaries/smoke shops being more common now the attitudes shifted, but it seems like the vaping scares weren't that long ago for it to be old news.

Upvote
125 (125 / 0)
Just say no is even better advice.
I'd rather not go back to the days of DARE. Lying to kids is a bad idea, and the phrase, "Just say no," is a big part of that.

Maybe, in the case of random crap that you have no idea what is, this advice may be warranted, but even that's a totally different thing from the general, "Just say no."

The correct advice for general drug use was best said by Ze Frank: "Remember kids, don't use drugs... Well, not a lot of them anyway."

Upvote
95 (126 / -31)

HuntingManatees

Smack-Fu Master, in training
I think the common perception is that it wouldn't be on the shelf if it wasn't safe. However, since most federal agencies set up to protect have been completely neutered, so this is no longer the case.
This is my sense as well. And also that the proliferation of legal cannabis has perhaps legitimized any sort of uncontrolled product that implicitly or suggestively advertises itself as a recreational drug, slick dispensary-style packaging and all.

I'm not seeing any published ages of the patients, but the FDA site makes a bullet point of Shruums' potential appeal to children and teenagers. To the best of my recollection, the United States' last big ersatz drug scare happened with spice roughly 10 years ago -- kids of the current generation aren't going to remember that.

Upvote
57 (57 / 0)

orwelldesign

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
Subscriptor++
Just say no is even better advice.

No, it's terrible advice.

Always has been.

The real problem with a "just say no" attitude is that it puts weed and beer and shrooms in the same place as heroin, crack, and meth.

Should kids do drugs? Probably not, and if they do, it sure as shit shouldn't be lots of drugs...

But once a kid drinks a beer or has a couple of puffs, and realizes "hey, this isn't as big a deal as they said. They were lying!" then they'll also think they're lying about hard drugs.

All three of the hard drugs I listed ruin lives quick. I knew someone who blew through their entire life smoking rock -- in six weeks. It's that addictive. I, myself, went from positive a paid for condo to 100k of debt in about a year of heroin. Etc.

Talk to your kids about drugs and tell them "hey, it's totally okay that grown ups who have their shit together smoke weed on the weekends," or something like that.

Upvote
183 (206 / -23)

chaos215bar2

Ars Tribunus Militum
I'd rather not go back to the days of DARE. Lying to kids is a bad idea, and the phrase, "Just say no," is a big part of that.

Maybe, in the case of random crap that you have no idea what is, this advice may be warranted, but even that's a totally different thing from the general, "Just say no."

The correct advice for general drug use was best said by Ze Frank: "Remember kids, don't use drugs... Well, not a lot of them anyway."
The problem with “just say no”, the silly 90s “this is your brain on drugs” ads, etc. is that they’re basically zero-information slogans that try to solve a problem by ignoring reality. People are curious by nature, and truth is that some drugs can be used safely in limited amounts for recreational purposes, just the same as alcohol. Kids (and most adults) aren’t stupid, and they’ll figure this out.

When you tell someone “just say no”, in trying to avoid a problem, you’re denying them the tools and information they need to make real, informed decisions if and when they’re put in the position of having access to whatever you’re telling them to “just say no” to.

The best answer is always education, and teaching someone how to be responsible rather than telling them to deny themselves an experience that may legitimately be safe and interesting under the right circumstances. Part of that education should absolutely be “probably don’t try things unless you know what’s in them, but if you do, be cautious, go slowly, and make absolutely sure there’s someone responsible around in case you have a bad reaction”.

Upvote
132 (146 / -14)

HuntingManatees

Smack-Fu Master, in training
I'm just as shocked as anyone that a product named "Shruumz" continues to be embroiled in such a scandal!
I can't help but constantly pronounce it in my head as "shrumms," which always makes me giggle since it just sounds like some disastrous Cinco Family product on "Awesome Show, Great Job!"

Upvote
16 (16 / 0)

IrishMonkee

Ars Scholae Palatinae
I would not buy some legal grey area shady micro dosing shroom shit covered in chocolate. Instead if shrooms were something of interest, I'd suggest going to your known hookup and buy from them. Not 100% sure fire way of being completely safe, but their ass has more to lose than some shady corp if something goes south. Or just grow your own and stop licking toads! lol it's like K2 Spice shit all over again.

Upvote
17 (27 / -10)

CalJake

Ars Centurion
Subscriptor
Moss is of course correct that 4-AcO-DMT alone shouldn't be responsible for the symptoms. But since this a synthetic analogue that then must be being manufactured and added, who is supplying the material? Is this prepared under GMP, with detailed batch records and and CoA's generated in a GLP-certified lab that can be reviewed? Since it's a psychoactive drug, I'd like to think so, but I doubt it. And even under GMP/GLP conditions, some sketchy stuff gets by. Without GMP/GLP, that 4-AcO-DMT can have all kinds of random side-products or crap present that's responsible for the symptoms.

And actually, this can be true for any of the psychoactive components they're adding.

Upvote
46 (49 / -3)

chaos215bar2

Ars Tribunus Militum
If the packager cant be bothered to give clear directions and a content listing, why are trusting them to have your safety in mind?
That’s the whole point about education in all the comments above responding to “just say no”.

If you know the current regulatory framework in the US, and know a little about what safe, responsible use might look like, this product has all sorts of warning signs. If you don’t, you might reasonably assume that a chocolate bar sold over the counter with some vague usage guidelines on the package is safe enough that it isn’t going to put you in the hospital.

Upvote
48 (50 / -2)

randomcat

Ars Tribunus Militum
You're the one dumb kid in the class who actually believed the DARE nonsense

Fun fact, DARE wasn't actually useless, it did a bang-up job of turning unwitting children into informers so the DEA could go after their parents, with tragic results for families nationwide.

I guess that's not such a fun fact. Sorry. I wonder if I still have the old t-shirt around here somewhere...

Upvote
64 (73 / -9)

Veritas super omens

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
Brain is boggled by the epic stupidity of this companies decisionmakers. Lots (and lots and lots) of quaisi legal intoxicants, even psychedelics available. Why add known toxins to the mix? There ought to be a law...

No, really there ought to be a law, with teeth, and criminal ramifications for C-suiters, clawbacks of profits to the 7th generation.

Upvote
29 (30 / -1)
Going low and slow is good advice for any recreational drug.

So is staying away from weird shit in vape stores.
For edibles particularly …. The delay from consumption to effect, 40 minutes is common but sometimes it can take multiple hours, and the temptation to do more has led to many an unpleasant over dose.

I was a semi professional recreational drug user in my youth and have accidentally or been intentionally ‘over-served’ on a number of occasions.

I’ve bought misidentified pills at raves and fallen into the k-hole( had a twitchy eye for 6 months after), had a ‘friend‘ slip a few extra half dozen hits of acid into my beer, been gbh by ghb and had multiple bad experiences with mushrooms (they naturally vary so much in intensity) and embarrassing many more Incidents.

but..

the WORSE drug experience I’ve ever had was a bowl of chocolate rum balls put on a coffee table in-front of me at a party … I had eaten maybe half the bowl before I recognized the effect and realized they were hash based.
Already way too high I knew I had at least an hour or two of getting more high ahead and crawled to lock my self in the bathroom where i spent the evening arms locked around the porcelain god.

Upvote
53 (58 / -5)
No, it's terrible advice.

Always has been.

The real problem with a "just say no" attitude is that it puts weed and beer and shrooms in the same place as heroin, crack, and meth.

Should kids do drugs? Probably not, and if they do, it sure as shit shouldn't be lots of drugs...

But once a kid drinks a beer or has a couple of puffs, and realizes "hey, this isn't as big a deal as they said. They were lying!" then they'll also think they're lying about hard drugs.

All three of the hard drugs I listed ruin lives quick. I knew someone who blew through their entire life smoking rock -- in six weeks. It's that addictive. I, myself, went from positive a paid for condo to 100k of debt in about a year of heroin. Etc.

Talk to your kids about drugs and tell them "hey, it's totally okay that grown ups who have their shit together smoke weed on the weekends," or something like that.
Wait .. are you saying a bunch of politicians, church leaders, and media based moral arbitrators aren’t giving sound advice to children?
IMG_1185.jpeg
I’m shocked .. really I am

Upvote
37 (42 / -5)
The problem with start low and go slow is that once you start your thinking may not be clear enough to remember to stop. Its one thing to take a dose of mushrooms and kick back but if its a chocolate bar... mmm chocolate!
Yep. Always make yir edibles taste bad like medicine
I learned that the hard way

Upvote
22 (23 / -1)

panton41

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
How were these patients treated?

The same way one would have treated a severe allergic reaction.

That is not a disease, nor an illness.

A severe allergic reaction doesn't require FDA to pull product, only attach sufficient labeling. Shutting down a company over a severe allergy seems like a ruthlessly aggressive action.

Reporting these as anything but what they appear to be, allergic reactions, is bad journalism. Isn't journalism.

So, why do it? Why report these incidents as illnesses, when the treatments suggest nothing of the kind. The treatments suggest allergic reaction. Intubation, anti inflammatory, anti histamine, and fluids.

Does that suggest illness to you, reader, or does that suggest allergic reaction?
How to say you haven't read the article without saying you haven't read the article.

Upvote
73 (74 / -1)